[SOLVED] Network out of IP's - need superscope help

bslevin

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
So we have one windows server that is just for one group of computers and our Unifi Wi-Fi system. We are completely out of IP's as we have so many new employees and interns. I saw that there are 2 ways to add more IP's, one is with a superscope and one is with changing the subnet. the superscope would be the easiest as it would take too long to reconfigure all the static IP's systems including all the Wi-Fi units so i was trying to create the superscope and i was able to no problem but it seems as only the original scope works. When someone tries to get on the Wi-Fi it still is full and will not assign them to the new scope. Am i doing something wrong? Here is what i have..

Original Scope 10.1.12.1 - 10.1.12.254 / 255.255.255.0
2nd Scope 10.1.13.1 - 10.1.13.254 / 255.255.255.0

I created the scopes adding them into the superscope and then went into the network card configuration of the server to add the additional IP

Everything seemed to be up and running but the wi-fi will not push out to the other scope, am i missing something?

This is temporary until i can reconfigure everything to a different subnet to have more IP's

Any help is appreciated.. Thank you!

Solution
Full disclosure: Not a Superscope response....

If I follow correctly you have about 50 computers that need to have the subnet mask changed to 255.255.254.0 - correct?

Do you have remote access rights to those 50 computers?

Consider using Powershell to make the required changes.

I am hesitant to offer any specific links or scripts because I certainly do not know the full scope of your environment and resources.

However take a look at the following links for illustrative purposes only:

https://mikefrobbins.com/2015/08/13/change-a-machines-subnet-mask-with-powershell-version-2/

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2087809-changing-only-subnet-mask-powershell

If you google "powershell change network computer...

kanewolf

Titan
So we have one windows server that is just for one group of computers and our Unifi Wi-Fi system. We are completely out of IP's as we have so many new employees and interns. I saw that there are 2 ways to add more IP's, one is with a superscope and one is with changing the subnet. the superscope would be the easiest as it would take too long to reconfigure all the static IP's systems including all the Wi-Fi units so i was trying to create the superscope and i was able to no problem but it seems as only the original scope works. When someone tries to get on the Wi-Fi it still is full and will not assign them to the new scope. Am i doing something wrong? Here is what i have..

Original Scope 10.1.12.1 - 10.1.12.254 / 255.255.255.0
2nd Scope 10.1.13.1 - 10.1.13.254 / 255.255.255.0

I created the scopes adding them into the superscope and then went into the network card configuration of the server to add the additional IP

Everything seemed to be up and running but the wi-fi will not push out to the other scope, am i missing something?

This is temporary until i can reconfigure everything to a different subnet to have more IP's

Any help is appreciated.. Thank you!
Shouldn't you set your DHCP range to 10.1.12.0 / 255.255.254.0 That would allow 10.1.12.1 to 10.1.13.154 inclusive ?

bslevin

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Shouldn't you set your DHCP range to 10.1.12.0 / 255.255.254.0 That would allow 10.1.12.1 to 10.1.13.154 inclusive ?
That is what i said, i can't do that now as it would be a huge project to reconfigure all the computers and Wi-Fi units that have static IP's and i don't have a slot to take them down right now, this is a medical facility and they are on zoom all day. i am looking for the superscope to be a temporary fix until i can do that...

kanewolf

Titan
That is what i said, i can't do that now as it would be a huge project to reconfigure all the computers and Wi-Fi units that have static IP's and i don't have a slot to take them down right now, this is a medical facility and they are on zoom all day. i am looking for the superscope to be a temporary fix until i can do that...
I am not a Windows admin, so I guess I don't understand the difference. The same set of IPs is available to the DHCP server in both cases. No new IP conflicts would be created.

bslevin

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
I am not a Windows admin, so I guess I don't understand the difference. The same set of IPs is available to the DHCP server in both cases. No new IP conflicts would be created.
Yes they would i would have to change the subnet to 254 which would have to be changed on each and every static system so about 20 computers and 16 Wi-Fi units and maybe 10 other systems

kanewolf

Titan
Yes they would i would have to change the subnet to 254 which would have to be changed on each and every static system so about 20 computers and 16 Wi-Fi units and maybe 10 other systems
UniFI devices don't have to change, I don't think. As long as they can get to the management device, they don't HAVE to have their management subnet changed.
Unless you have something about VLANs defined, I don't believe UniFI cares if the clients are in one subnet and the management is completely different.
The 20 PCs, maybe. If they have to directly interact with the new range of DHCP clients.

bslevin

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
UniFI devices don't have to change, I don't think. As long as they can get to the management device, they don't HAVE to have their management subnet changed.
Unless you have something about VLANs defined, I don't believe UniFI cares if the clients are in one subnet and the management is completely different.
The 20 PCs, maybe. If they have to directly interact with the new range of DHCP clients.
Still too much work right now i have to change the firewall, router, and our security camera systems which are all static.. and the UNIFI does have to change as each one is manually configured with the subnet.

My questions is about the superscope and why it is not working i know what to do with the subnet change i just cant do it at the moment.. Any ideas about the superscope?

Ralston18

Titan
Full disclosure: Not a Superscope response....

If I follow correctly you have about 50 computers that need to have the subnet mask changed to 255.255.254.0 - correct?

Do you have remote access rights to those 50 computers?

Consider using Powershell to make the required changes.

I am hesitant to offer any specific links or scripts because I certainly do not know the full scope of your environment and resources.

However take a look at the following links for illustrative purposes only:

https://mikefrobbins.com/2015/08/13/change-a-machines-subnet-mask-with-powershell-version-2/

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2087809-changing-only-subnet-mask-powershell

If you google "powershell change network computer subnet address" or edit the search criteria as applicable to your network environment you may find similar ideas and ways to accomplish the required changes.

And if you or someone else on the IT staff has worked with or has interest in Powershell then that is an option to consider.

It may not be as difficult as you expect.

Very likely that someone has written a script that you use as a starting point.

Solution