Question Network Panel Headache

Apr 24, 2023
Not the most network savvy, but got my router to work. Open the panel and looks like a nightmare that someone has left me to deal with, and wondering if this is even close to being usable to use my cat6 port in my office across the hall. Popped the port off the wall in my office and it labeled cat6 with 8+ wires coming out of it. Any help is appreciated before I drop $1000+ on someone to come out. Attached pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/ryqYdJT

Solution
Looks worse than it actually is. Doesn't look like a nightmare to me. I think if you stretch all those cables out of the closet, it won't be messy.

They left the extra cable slack in the cabinet in case you wanted to add a network switch.

Ideally that ATT ONT box with the red cable would plug into the WAN of your router. All other cables would plug into the LAN ports on your router and it all should just work at that point.

If you don't have enough ports on your router, you can buy a network switch to plug all those cables into, except for the red ONT cable which plugs into the router WAN. Then plug 1 wire from the switch to your router LAN port.
It is purely a matter of finding the cable and putting RJ45 ends on them. A cheap tool like this will let you tell what wire go to what rooms and then test that you have correctly put ends on the wire. You might want to put a small patch panel in that cabenet rather than just put ends on all the wires but it is up to you.

The details of how you plug the cables in will depends on where the router is located seem they have some kind one ONT in the box also.

Reactions: TrashPandy
Looks worse than it actually is. Doesn't look like a nightmare to me. I think if you stretch all those cables out of the closet, it won't be messy.

They left the extra cable slack in the cabinet in case you wanted to add a network switch.

Ideally that ATT ONT box with the red cable would plug into the WAN of your router. All other cables would plug into the LAN ports on your router and it all should just work at that point.

If you don't have enough ports on your router, you can buy a network switch to plug all those cables into, except for the red ONT cable which plugs into the router WAN. Then plug 1 wire from the switch to your router LAN port.

Reactions: TrashPandy
Solution