Network perfomance utility

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
*Standard sorry this is here, but everywhere else is dead statement*

My friend has a crappy wireless network and lags from time to time on CS and other games (his ping is great, just it stops getting info for a few secs). Seems to me it's the wireless, but I wanna test it first. Is there any utility that'll stream data and graph out throughput and losses?

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
assuming he is using Win 2k/XP just run perfmon.exe
To generate traffic, just download a huge ISO, or if he has more than one computer in the network, just copy a huge file across the network.

Another tool you could check out it netlimiter. Just don't use the "limiting" option, but it has extremely nice detailed charts per app/process. There is a 30 day trial version if I'm not mistaken.

BTW, I use wireless as well, and have the same problem. Every so often it will just "hang" the connection for a second or two, sometimes it will even drop it, only to reconnect the same second (while reception is always "excellent". Very annying, and I've tried everything to solve, none helped, but I'll list it anyway so you could try it as well:
-change channels on AP
-change preamble from long to short and back
-update firmware AP and WLAN card as well as drivers
-change default SSID name (in case someone else uses same SSID in neighbourhood, possibly with SSID broadcast disabled)
-use USR wireless utility to establish/manage connection instead of windows "zero administration" thingy.
-set fixed Tx Rate

none of this helped for me though, but is worth trying.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
BTW, I use wireless as well, and have the same problem. Every so often it will just "hang" the connection for a second or two, sometimes it will even drop it, only to reconnect the same second (while reception is always "excellent". Very annying, and I've tried everything to solve, none helped, but I'll list it anyway so you could try it as well
I also get the same problem with my wireless everyonce in awhile. Usually it's pretty stable. In cs thought, I rarely get disconnections. I think it's just something that will happen from time to time with wireless networks. But I'm also using serverely outdated firmware. i have 2.18 on my dlink di-614+ and the latest is 3.41 :eek:.

AMD64 2800+
MSI Neo-Fis2r
512mb Kingmax ddr400
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
10K WD Raptor