[SOLVED] Network printer issues

Mar 1, 2020
I am having some problems accessing a printer on my network. I can see the printer but always get an offline message from one PC.

My setup is as follows.

I have a an Archer VR400 TP Link in the living room connecting to BT Fibre 2. I also have a BT wholehome disc connected to this router.
I have a total of 4 other discs through out the house connecting to network 1.
I have a PC in the kitchen that connects to the BT disc by cable.
I have a PC in the guest room that connect to the disc in that room with a cable.
I have a PC in my study that connects to the BT Disc through a wi-fi card. This PC also connect to a Voadfone Cube (wired connection) for internet access. (this access is much faster than the BT access)
I have a HP Office Jet printer in this room as well that connect to the BT disc by wi-fi (i have also used a wired connection to the BT disc)

Now all PC's and mobile devices that connect to the BT Network can print to the HP printer.

The PC in my study can see the network and the other devices on the network including the printer but for some reason it cant print as I get an off line message.
Obviously this must have something to do with the fact that i have both a wi-fi network and the vodafone cube on this device.

What can i do to ensure a stable connection to the printer.

I would like to coninue usinfg the internet connection to the vodafone 5g cube.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Firstly a big thank you to the people that have responded to this thread.
i changed the printers ip to static but for some reason this prevented my PC from accessing the internet through either of the routers. I kept getting a DNS server issue. Tried to reinstall the wi fi card as well as LAN card but to no avail. I changed the printer back to automatic IP and that solved the problem. It is a mystery to me how they can effect each other. Especially since the printer is not connected to the PC but rather to a BT disc in the same room. Since i changed the printer back to an automatic IP however i have been able to access it from all PC's in the house. SO somehow the problem has been solved. The actual IP address that the printer was...

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I have a PC in my study that connects to the BT Disc through a wi-fi card. This PC also connect to a Voadfone Cube (wired connection) for internet access. (this access is much faster than the BT access) "

You have two network adapters (one wired adpater, one wireless) enabled on the Study PC - is that the case?

Mar 1, 2020
This:

"I have a PC in my study that connects to the BT Disc through a wi-fi card. This PC also connect to a Voadfone Cube (wired connection) for internet access. (this access is much faster than the BT access) "

You have two network adapters (one wired adapter, one wireless) enabled on the Study PC - is that the case?

Yes that is correct. Wi-Fi to the home network and wired to the Vodafone Cube ISP - I want to use vodafone only for internet access on the study PC only,

Last edited:
Yes that is correct. Wi-Fi to the home network and wired to the Vodafone Cube ISP - I want to use vodafone only for internet access on the study PC only,
And what are the network ranges for each of those networks? ie, 192.168.1.x, etc? We suspect that you have both ranges the same, which would confuse the computer as to where to look for the printer. Both ranges need to be different.

Mar 1, 2020
ah ok. I guess i haven't changed those manually so they would be the default which of course is within that range.
Would it be easiest to change the range on the Vodafone Cube as that router is only used by one computer and it is a wired connection.

edit: actually just checked and the TP link is operating on 192.168.1.xx and the Vodafone is 192.168.8.xx
Thank you so much for your help by the way.

Last edited:
ah ok. I guess i haven't changed those manually so they would be the default which of course is within that range.
Would it be easiest to change the range on the Vodafone Cube as that router is only used by one computer and it is a wired connection.

edit: actually just checked and the TP link is operating on 192.168.1.xx and the Vodafone is 192.168.8.xx
Thank you so much for your help by the way.
Hmmm...interesting. You shouldn't be having an issue.

Who makes the network printer?

Ralston18

Titan
What about subnet masks and MACs?

Sketch out your network: show all devices and note each one's name, IP address (static or dynamic), subnet mask, and MAC. Show the connections be they wired or wireless.

Does the printer have a static IP address and is that IP address unique and reserved for the printer?

Mar 1, 2020
Firstly a big thank you to the people that have responded to this thread.
i changed the printers ip to static but for some reason this prevented my PC from accessing the internet through either of the routers. I kept getting a DNS server issue. Tried to reinstall the wi fi card as well as LAN card but to no avail. I changed the printer back to automatic IP and that solved the problem. It is a mystery to me how they can effect each other. Especially since the printer is not connected to the PC but rather to a BT disc in the same room. Since i changed the printer back to an automatic IP however i have been able to access it from all PC's in the house. SO somehow the problem has been solved. The actual IP address that the printer was assigned did not change during the changes but remained as 192.168.1.152.

Solution