My desktop computer running window xy home edition has a Lexmark Z45 printer
connected through a USB port, I am connected to the internet through a
router connected to a cable modem, my laptop in the other room also connects
through the router/cable modem... What I want to do is be able to print
something from my laptop computer connected through a cat5 cable to the
router which is tied to the desktop network card and to it's Lexmark Z45
printer.

I know this is supposed to be simple, but can some one explain what they
know about performing this feat?

RobertBodling@yahoo.com

"Robert Bodling" <robertbodling@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My desktop computer running window xy home edition has a Lexmark Z45
printer
> connected through a USB port, I am connected to the internet through a
> router connected to a cable modem, my laptop in the other room also
connects
> through the router/cable modem... What I want to do is be able to print
> something from my laptop computer connected through a cat5 cable to the
> router which is tied to the desktop network card and to it's Lexmark Z45
> printer.
>
> I know this is supposed to be simple, but can some one explain what they
> know about performing this feat?
>
> RobertBodling@yahoo.com

It's a two step process...

On the desktop you need to mark the printer for sharing. See "share your
printer" in help and support. (Hint Don't use spaces in the name)

Then on the laptop you need to add new printer. See "To connect to a printer
on a network" in help and support.

> "Robert Bodling" <robertbodling@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My desktop computer running window xy home edition has a Lexmark Z45
> printer
>> connected through a USB port, I am connected to the internet through a
>> router connected to a cable modem, my laptop in the other room also
> connects
>> through the router/cable modem... What I want to do is be able to print
>> something from my laptop computer connected through a cat5 cable to the
>> router which is tied to the desktop network card and to it's Lexmark Z45
>> printer.
>>
>> I know this is supposed to be simple, but can some one explain what they
>> know about performing this feat?
>>
>> RobertBodling@yahoo.com
>

> It's a two step process...
>
> On the desktop you need to mark the printer for sharing. See "share your
> printer" in help and support. (Hint Don't use spaces in the name)
>
> Then on the laptop you need to add new printer. See "To connect to a
> printer
> on a network" in help and support.

I was reading the "Help" files on building a Home Network and found the
following information, any suggestions here since I am using an "Internet
Firewall"?

Neither of these methods provides firewall protection; and while Internet
Connection Firewall can be enabled on networked computers running Windows
XP, doing so prevents those computers from sharing files and devices such as
printers.

> I was reading the "Help" files on building a Home Network and found the
> following information, any suggestions here since I am using an "Internet
> Firewall"?
>
> Neither of these methods provides firewall protection; and while Internet
> Connection Firewall can be enabled on networked computers running Windows
> XP, doing so prevents those computers from sharing files and devices such
as
> printers.

If you have WinXP SP2 (which comes with a better firewall) see..
"Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception" in Table 2 on
this page...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngwfw.mspx

I'm not sure about the SP1 firewall but perhaps you could open the same
ports as detailed in the table and rely on the firewall in the router.