[SOLVED] Network problem, do I need new components?

Joachimlindegaard

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Hello!
I’ve been annoyed with my WiFi for awhile now and now I’ve finally decided to try to fix it.

My problem is that my WiFi keeps acting weird. The internet will stop working for like 5-10 minutes and then it will start working again. If I restart my router it will also start working again. But it’s only the WiFi that’s not working. My computer which is connected via cable works fine all the time which leads me to think it must be a router problem.

my current setup throughout my house is: Fiberbox -> Router -> Router -> splitter -> Computer.

the first router in the stream is like 6-7 years old. Do I just need a new one and which one would you recommend?

Solution
I would swap the two routers, making the router the ap and vice versa--just for testing. If the wifi doesn't drop, definitely sounds like a router issue on the other one. Otherwise if you have the same problem there's something funny in the air--literally.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!
I’ve been annoyed with my WiFi for awhile now and now I’ve finally decided to try to fix it.

My problem is that my WiFi keeps acting weird. The internet will stop working for like 5-10 minutes and then it will start working again. If I restart my router it will also start working again. But it’s only the WiFi that’s not working. My computer which is connected via cable works fine all the time which leads me to think it must be a router problem.

my current setup throughout my house is: Fiberbox -> Router -> Router -> splitter -> Computer.

the first router in the stream is like 6-7 years old. Do I just need a new one and which one would you recommend?
Why do you have two routers ? How are these two routers connected to each other? Is a "splitter" an ethernet switch? Which device(s) supply WIFI ?

Reactions: SamirD
I would swap the two routers, making the router the ap and vice versa--just for testing. If the wifi doesn't drop, definitely sounds like a router issue on the other one. Otherwise if you have the same problem there's something funny in the air--literally.

Solution