Network problems

chinoxl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have 100mbps connection but when i took the test at speedtest.net it was so slow i don't understand whats bottle necking my system. When i download games off of steam it downloads its much faster then downing anything from my browser. I know its my network because when i went on steam and changed my download settings to cable and it was fixed. Anyone have any ideas of what i could do?

chinoxl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Ping: 20 Download speed: 1.42 upload speed: 0.36 mpbs and its 100.0 mbps if that makes a difference.

tomatthe

Distinguished
You are paying for a 100Mbit connection? If your only getting 0.36Mbps and are paying for a 100Mbit connection I would definitely contact your internet provider to have them come out and look at things. If you just mean the connection shows up as 100Mbit on your computer that is different then paying for that connection speed from your provider. You really need to know what speed you are paying for in order for the speedtest results to be usefull. Who is your isp and what level of service are you subscribing to?

chinoxl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

My isp is comcast and I'm paying around 60$ a month I'm going call them when i get the chance and get this figured out.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Yeah I don't think your getting a 100meg connection for $60 from Comcast, It is $200 where I live, and that is just internet, no phone or tv included.

I would guess your are on the economy plan at 1.5Mbps?

Your probably getting 100Mpbs between your computer and your router.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
That is the max speeds you can go between your computer and what ever you are connected to. In this case I am guessing a modem/router.
Your not seeing that kinda of speeds because nothing you are downloading is on that modem/router, your accessing stuff on web servers over internet so you need to go though your ISP to get to it, and they limit the speed between them and your router/modem to only what your are paying them for.
So
For example your are going to download a game off of steam.
computer<--------100mpbs----------->router/modem<---------1.5mbps--------->your ISP<----------1gpbs---------->Steam's ISP<-----------1gbps------------->Steam's Server
You can only transfer at 1.5mbps because that is the slowest connection in this example.

So basically your are only as fast as the slowest connection in the link, and most of the time it is your internet speeds that will slow you down.

Hopefully that is a ok explanation

yuessii

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
g.gif
I'm going call them when i get the chance and get this figured out.

chinoxl

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Yes that explains a lot I'm going to cancel the internet and phone and just get a better package with cable.