Network randomly disconnects while gaming

Aug 13, 2018
Hello.

I am using a Huawei B715s-23c sent by my service provider with a 4G LTE plan, which works pretty well for a mobile connection. However, there is an issue that occurs randomly while gaming: the connection simply drops out. It affects every device connected to the router, and the connection goes back up in 1-5 minutes without a reboot. The router itself doesn't turn off and acts like it's working. Windows 10 may or may not give the exclamation point next to the network icon. The problem is not easily reproducible, because the router may work for days without disconnecting, or it may disconnect several times a day. Interestingly enough, the disconnection only seems to occur while gaming. Stuff like browsing, YouTube and Netflix work flawlessly.

Some background: I had the exact same issue with a Huawei B315 router (maybe Huawei routers are simply bad?) and I have managed to reproduce the problem with two different setups, so I'm guessing the issue is inside the router, weird QoS settings perhaps?

What I have tried:
- Force LTE1800 (I was told it's the best band)
- Disable router firewall
- Try different cables and ports, both router and PC

Additional details:
- Router is plugged to PC via ethernet cable
- Router signal is strong, no interference
- MB: MSI Z370-A Pro
- CPU: Intel Core i5 8600k
- GPU: GTX 1080

The service provider's customer service is helpless, so I'm asking the real experts here.

Thanks.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
A lot of times this occurs because of out-of-date firmware. You can look up the model number on the website and see if there is anything new. I would contact the service provider before updating though since you are just renting it.

Some thoughts I had, maybe they will help or someone will come along with better solutions:
1. Sounds like an interference issue except that it would probably occur outside of gaming.
2. The best band really depends on where you live. I would try out the 800 and 2600 bands too to see if they help. The 800 will have better coverage, but the 2600 has better bandwidth. Maybe your 1800 band is insufficient for the amount of data that is transferred during gaming?

Aug 13, 2018

The router has the latest firmware, or at least the latest firmware my service provider offers. Keep in mind that the issue has been in both new and old routers, both from Huawei. There shouldn't be any interference, I've even moved to another apartment lately, and the problem persists. As for the bands, the customer service told me that 1800 is the absolute best in my area. The router can change bands on the fly, too. That's why I locked it, thought it was the issue, but nope.