Question Network Router Question with Fios Internet and TV

Jun 5, 2018
Hello there

I've never tinkered with networking before so I am really unfamiliar with what is possible or what I could do, but I will be moving soon and the layout of the place does not allow me to run an ethernet cable.

I've checked the ISPs around the area and it is really only Fios and Spectrum, but in terms of cost for the double play plan(TV and Internet) I will be going with Fios. So if anyone has done something similar with Verizon I'd greatly appreciate help.

The situation is:
For Internet:
- The router/modem room is located in a closet and hallways across from my room and there are doors that won't allow cables to run through the doorway and we can't drill holes to run the cable through the walls.

- So, I am planning on getting 2 ASUS RT-AC66Us routers for the new place, running it in AiMesh mode (or the scenario where one 66 is plugged into the Fios Modem and replaces the Fios Router while the other 66 is in a different room and connected to my PC using ethernet, using AiMesh tech to communicate with the router 66).

For TV:
- I chatted with a support person from Verizon a couple hours ago and they said 'having a third party router could effect On-Demand and Interactive Media services', so really TV services.

So basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I use my own router will it actually have any effect on TV services, and is it possible to have the setup mentioned above work (Internet)?

Mesh is mostly marketing hype to get people to buy new routers.

First you can not replace the fios box. In most cases when you have tv service they deliver the service via coax cable to their router. This is not using standard docsis so you can not replace the router/modem. What you generally can do is have them activate the ethernet port on the ONT and plug your router there. You must still keep their router just for the tv and phone. All your internet traffic will flow via the ethernet port. The tv function will use the verizon router.

Putting those routers on both ends buys you nothing. You are basically using the one by your PC as wifi nic card. It will not perform much better than any other wifi nic card. The problem is the walls and the doors. Mesh is just a fancy repeater. It is still used the same way you would place it half way between the main router and the end device. It still suffers from having 2 radio signals that can be interfered with.

Now the good thing about fios router is it supports moca.....you need to verify with verizon it still does be a long time since I had fios. You should be able to place a moca adapter in any room that has a coax connection. You could hook a router to the ethernet port if you wanted better wifi but you really want to run it only as a AP not a router. Verizons latest modem/router performs fairly well on many testing sites. I would try it and see how well/bad it works and then decide if you need to upgrade anything.

Mesh is a pretty worthless feature do not get sucked into the hype.

TRENDING THREADS