Question Network shared drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

B17King

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
I can’t drag and drop files from main pc to my “in acting server pc” it’s not server but have a few drive set up as a shared drive as I don’t want to loose certain files and I also made a Linux game server on it and I don’t want to lose that by installing a new server os. I want to try to avoid that

The issue is that I can’t drop files into the shared drive but I can pull them. Which is fine but I would like the option to be able to do both.
Please help

A list of step by step instructions with pictures would be best and most helpful as I have a disability and learn best with photos

thank you so much in advanced!

You have to edit the security for that shared drive, I like to share folders rather than the entire drive, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Make sure you are on the PC that has the physical drives that you are sharing.

Anyway, right click on the drive you are sharing, properties, the Sharing tab, click on Advanced Sharing, Check Share this folder (should be already checked), Click on permissions and you should see Everyone in that list, if not, Click on Add..., Advanced in the new window, click on Find Now and find Everyone in that list at the bottom, click it and then click Ok and give it permissions, full control to move delete files and what not, then click Ok to close that window and click on apply. See if you can move or delete files, There may be another permissions thing you might have to set.

So if you are in the same boat, right click on your shared drive, Properties, go to the Security tab, and you will probably not see Everyone in that list, Click on Edit, then Add..., Advanced, and click on Find Now, And find Everyone in that list and click Ok and then Ok again, Make sure Everyone is selected and give it permissions, and see if you can move and delete files again, you will have to do this with every drive you share.

Reason I like to share only the folder rather than a drive is due to how Linux and Phones connect to it, sometimes I have issues with Linux distros seeing the Windows SMB drive for some reason, a folder almost always show up.

Also if this doesn't work the first try, you may have to remove the shared drive, edit the security or make sure the setting are still there rather, and reshare that drive again.

Good Luck and hope this helps!

B17King

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
You have to edit the security for that shared drive, I like to share folders rather than the entire drive, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Make sure you are on the PC that has the physical drives that you are sharing.

Anyway, right click on the drive you are sharing, properties, the Sharing tab, click on Advanced Sharing, Check Share this folder (should be already checked), Click on permissions and you should see Everyone in that list, if not, Click on Add..., Advanced in the new window, click on Find Now and find Everyone in that list at the bottom, click it and then click Ok and give it permissions, full control to move delete files and what not, then click Ok to close that window and click on apply. See if you can move or delete files, There may be another permissions thing you might have to set.

So if you are in the same boat, right click on your shared drive, Properties, go to the Security tab, and you will probably not see Everyone in that list, Click on Edit, then Add..., Advanced, and click on Find Now, And find Everyone in that list and click Ok and then Ok again, Make sure Everyone is selected and give it permissions, and see if you can move and delete files again, you will have to do this with every drive you share.

Reason I like to share only the folder rather than a drive is due to how Linux and Phones connect to it, sometimes I have issues with Linux distros seeing the Windows SMB drive for some reason, a folder almost always show up.

Also if this doesn't work the first try, you may have to remove the shared drive, edit the security or make sure the setting are still there rather, and reshare that drive again.

Good Luck and hope this helps!
OMG THIS WORKED THANK THANK THANK YOU! I’m starting to get more into YouTube and this will majorly help with storage!

Reactions: Viking2121

B17King

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
No problem bud, Windows can be a little wired with sharing drives or files and its not really straight forward either.

Good luck man!
Ok I got another question that might be hard to do

How do you share a HDD over WAN? Can you do that? I know how the local works know but not sure how you would do it over WAN
I need to be able to do both ways

How do you share a HDD over WAN? Can you do that? I know how the local works know but not sure how you would do it over WAN
Sharing over a WAN is an extremely bad idea from a security standpoint. You've already demonstrated that you have very limited skills when it comes to sharing over LAN. WAN requires much more knowledge and skills. My advice is don't go there.

USAFRet

Titan

WAN, as in outside your local in house network LAN?
Why?

This is NOT an easy thing.
Get it wrong, and your systems and data won't last more than a day.

And it is EASY to get it wrong.

B17King

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
WAN, as in outside your local in house network LAN?
Why?

This is NOT an easy thing.
Get it wrong, and your systems and data won't last more than a day.

And it is EASY to get it wrong.
This I very much disbelief. As far as I know you just need to do something like a sonic wall vpn set up or software or something as far as I know. But which software I don’t know of any or how to find it.

B17King

Prominent
Jan 5, 2022
Sharing over a WAN is an extremely bad idea from a security standpoint. You've already demonstrated that you have very limited skills when it comes to sharing over LAN. WAN requires much more knowledge and skills. My advice is don't go there.
  1. You don’t know me or what I am capable of
  2. There is always room to learn and grow
  3. Just because someone doesn’t know something doesn’t mean they don’t know anything
  4. They way your thinking of how it could be done I’m sure probably could possibly be “dangerous” but I’m quite sure there is multiple routes you could go with this

USAFRet

Titan
This I very much disbelief. As far as I know you just need to do something like a sonic wall vpn set up or software or something as far as I know. But which software I don’t know of any or how to find it.
And that is why we're saying it is a bad idea.

You don't know what software to use, or how to set the whole thing up.

As mentioned "easy to get it wrong".

Yeah, I kinda have to agree that its a bad idea, I'm not an expert when it comes to networking myself, I only know most of the basics and some of the problems I ran into over the years and sharing files out of your homes network is asking for trouble.

Now I don't really know the best way to share outside of your network, but I do use Google Drive if I need to share outside of my network, or if i'm physically going to my uncle's place or my brothers and have to give them files or they give me files, I just bring a 120GB flash drive that I have attached to my keys, they are cheap, its faster than most networks upload speeds anyway so unless its a vary small file then its not a big deal to just upload it to Google Drive. Its safer that way than potentially exposing your network to billions of users with an internet connection which is why I never bothered.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.