Question Network socket only connected with 2 wires?

Jul 4, 2019
So I tried to replace an old network socket in my living room, as the faceplate was broken, however when I opened it up it was only connected with 2 wires, the orange/ orange white pairs.

When I disconnected them I lost internet, despite my router being connected to another socket in a different room. When I checked the other socket, I found that it was also only connected with 2 wires, this time the blue/ blue white pair

I tried reconnecting the first socket, but cannot seem to get internet back.

I live in an apartment, with what I assume to be VDSL.

I understand I have probably been really stupid, but any help would be much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2019
Punch them back down where they were, this is telephone service carrying your incoming line.
I have tried, however it did nothing? Any recommendations on which positions to punch them back into? It's a normal 8 pin socket.

As far as I remember they were in pin 1 and 2 however as I got nothing when reinstalling them it's possible I remember incorrectly or there is perhaps another problem?

The other socket has the 2 blue wires connected to 1 and 2 as well

Jul 4, 2019
I have a proper punch down tool, and have tried resetting the router a fair few times now.

Would it make sense for the two wires on the problem socket to be installed into pin 1 and 2? I seem to remember that they were, however after all this carry on I'm beginning to doubt myself

I can't see how them being disconnected would affect anything at all.

I've installed quite a few network cables in my time, and when there is a cable that has a problem, it doesn't stop the entire system from working.

What is your router? Have you unplugged all of the cables? How many cables? Do you know where each cable go?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019
That is my issue as well, it just doesn't add up, could a short have affected the router?I have reset it many times at this point.

It just seems unlikely that my tinkering of an unused socket could affect the other one

Jul 4, 2019

I've installed quite a few network cables in my time, and when there is a cable that has a problem, it doesn't stop the entire system from working.

What is your router? Have you unplugged all of the cables? How many cables? Do you know where each cable go?
It's a simple set up, Inteno DG301B-R1. Only two wires, 1 power, 1 DSL. The power obviously goes to a plug and the DSL from the Router DSL port directly to the wall in the (previously) working socket that I have not messed with. As it has been for over two years undisturbed and without issue.

The one and only change was me unplugging the orange pair from the other port, the only wires that were installed.

Last edited:
I would get a Cat cable and plug your computer directly into the router.
Do you have wifi at home? Is that working?
I googled your device

I am a little confused now...

You have a Telephone Cable going from the Wall to your Router into the DSL socket?
So how does it get internet to your computer? Surely there must be something in the LAN sockets.
Do you still have a DIAL tone on the phone?
I think you need to log into the router

Jul 4, 2019
https://www.dropbox.com/s/acr51zwz6zop70h/IMG_20190704_134900.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ehaawmfv19wx22/IMG_20190704_134917.jpg?dl=0

That is the setup on the back of the router( wan cable not connected to anything, never has been) and a picture of the cable that is plugged directly into the wall. Wall socket is almost identical to the one I posted earlier

I can connect to the router wirelessly, but have no connection to the internet.

We don't have a phone, and none of our devices take an ethernet cable, all working wirelessly up until last night

The point is, that they are TERMINATED into 2 different slots (1 and 2 you said).
But nothing is connected to them, so it doesn't work.
If they were meant to be connected together, sure, it would make a circuit. You said they were not, so it shouldn't make any difference at all. It's a "socket" with nothing plugged in, which is the same as 2 bare wires. Which is what you have.

Jul 4, 2019
I've tried logging on to the router, however it doesn't seem to be possible, could I have shorted a wire and broken the router? Is that even possible?

All the router does now, is turn on and off again over and over, which my ISP says is normal but doesn't seem normal to me.

(More details) It turns on, initialises, turns on wireless, light up green on wireless and status, then after a minute or so light red on the internet light, then turns off a few mins later, rinse and repeat

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I have a proper punch down tool, and have tried resetting the router a fair few times now.

Would it make sense for the two wires on the problem socket to be installed into pin 1 and 2? I seem to remember that they were, however after all this carry on I'm beginning to doubt myself

Your wires are orange and orange white these are being used as primary or only pair from what you have said so

If socket is red, green, black, yellow then

Orange goes to red, orange white goes to green (though polarity rarely matters today)

If socket has blue, orange, green, brown with corresponding white then

Orange goes to blue, orange white goes to blue white.

Last edited:

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Can you gently pull the wire out of the wall as far as it will go. Apartments are often daisy chained and there may be a splice of the blue wires or worse some DSL filter ghetto splice up inside the wall you have unintentionally damaged.

Jul 4, 2019
Can you gently pull the wire out of the wall as far as it will go. Apartments are often daisy chained and there may be a splice of the blue wires or worse some DSL filter ghetto splice up inside the wall you have unintentionally damaged.
No colour coding on the socket, just numbers 1-8. See picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw071ewu52txkhi/IMG_20190704_075456.jpg?dl=0

As far as I can tell the wire is unbroken until it comes to a splice point in the hallway that looks like this (middle wire seems to be the one I'm having troubles with):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pb5ne82cjk6t0q/IMG_20190704_142537.jpg?dl=0

DSL inlet=landline, wire pins 4-5 on the RJ45, NOT 1-2. and if your modem is using a phone cord RJ11, be sure the plug goes in CENTERED into the fatter RJ45.

Another unused outlet should not affect it as long as u don't short the 2 wires.

If ur unable to make this work again, will have to call ISP.

Jul 4, 2019
DSL inlet=landline, wire pins 4-5 on the RJ45, NOT 1-2. and if your modem is using a phone cord RJ11, be sure the plug goes in CENTERED into the fatter RJ45.

Another unused outlet should not affect it as long as u don't short the 2 wires.

If ur unable to make this work again, will have to call ISP.

Right so if I connect my two orange wires to plugs 4+5 it should make the other socket in another room work again? Just to make the whole picture clear, I unplugged the unused socket in order to change it to a newer one, and see nice then I have had problems with both sockets

U messing with the unused socket should not have caused issues UNLESS it was wired this way:

Signal -----> Unused socket -----> Active socket.

I have no Joe Blow explanation why, how.

Tip for next time, whenever u do something like this, take some good BEFORE pictures of it, so u can undo as it was if necessary.