[SOLVED] network speed changes with a network switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
a few weeks ago i was getting about 70 mbps on my internet. then i got a message from xfinity that i was going to start getting 100 mbps speed. well i checked my speed a few days later and i was getting from 70 plus down to like 60 mbps. i'm using a c3700 modem combo. so then i got a c7000 combo and hooked it up and i was getting slower speed. so i chatted with xfinity on both modems and they said it looked like i have a filter on my system and they could not find my modem. so i started to test and i find if i plug any cat cable into the back of the c3700 modem and the pc i gat 112 mbps. but if i use any of the network switches it drop down to 60 mbps.

now i'm sitting next to the modem and if i plug in a 100 ft. cat cable i still get 112 mbps but if i pug in any length cat cable to a network switch it drops down to 60 or so mbps.

can anyone tell me why this is so? a few weeks ago it was 75 plu mbps with the switch connected to the pc. i even reset the modems and factory reset them and still it is the same if i pug intot he back of the modem it is 112 or so mbps but with any type os network switch it drops down to 60 with the c3700 and 40 with the c7000 modem. help me figure this one out. thanks

Last edited:

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
Does the following link show your router:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Certified-Spectrum-C7000-1AZNAS/dp/B0781Z5PCL

Make and model network switch?
Does the following link show your router:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Certified-Spectrum-C7000-1AZNAS/dp/B0781Z5PCL

Make and model network switch?

that link is to the one i took back off the internet. that one was slower than the c3700 unit i put back on. the c3700 unit is i plug into it directly i get 112 and up for speed. if i go thru the netgear fs116 switch i get half the speed. i did not try the c7000 unit by plugging in the back or it directly but i expect i would get the same 112 and up speed. i also have some 5 port and 7 port network switches on the system so i took one of those and did the same test and i got the same results. the netgar switch is a 16 port 10/100 switch. the funnig this is a few weeks ago i ran the same xfinity speed test as i do about every week and i was getting 70 plus for speed. i would not have noticed but for the email from xfinity that tol me i was now getting 100 mbps speed. so i ran the test and it was like 60 mbps. so i figured maybe the time of day. but i has been that slow ever since. and then i plug into the back of the c3700 and get 112 plus for speed. so i think i have something going on here but can't figure it out.

i even unplugged all the cables from that switch and it was the same. i plugged from the modem to the switch and then back to the pc and it was less than 60 mbps. but if i used the same cables either one from the modem to the pc it was 112 and up. so i tried one of the 7 port switches and the same thing. so something has changed. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
There's your problem. That switch is only a 10/100 switch. You will never exceed 100Mbps (and likely not even that fast) while connected to it. Same for any other 10/100 switch. You need a 10/100/1000 switch.
ok thanks can you tell me why i was getting 75+ mbps before i was told they upped my speed? before that i got 75+ now it is down to like 50 to 60 mbps. so if my switch is only 100 mbps switch then i should be getting 100 mbps correct? my internet direct connection is 112+mbps and the switch is only 60 or less mbps. so that speed is lower than what your telling me then correct? thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
100Mbps port speed on the switch is the theoretical maximum. You will rarely, if ever, reach it in normal operation, no matter how connected. You want faster, you need gigabit ports everywhere in the chain.

ok thanks much i will get one then. i did not know that. and then come back and let you all know o how it goes. again thanks very much

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i had to return that c7000 modem. comcast told me the reason i was not getting the 100 mbps was that modem is not compatible with there system for my area! when i put the c3700 online i got 55 to 60 mbps and when i put the c7000 online i got 40 to 50 mbps. so it may not be entirely the network switch, that switch may have some issues but comcast told me to put the c3700 back online as that one would be better for now. they told me to get the motorola mg7700 that i see on ebay now is better. and will work on my system and they told me it is capable of 150 mbps. so i will try for one of those modems and let you all know how that one does for me. i will get at lease 1, 4 or 5 port 10/100/1000 switch for the laptops and the cameras can stay on the 10/100 switch. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i got the gigabit network switch today and hooked it up and my speed is now up to 118 gbps going thru the modem and the gigabit switch. believe it or not if i connect to the 10/100 switch upstairs my speed is like 12 mbps. if i go thru both 10/100 mbps switches i get about 50 mbps. so that has answered the speed issue. thanks for bringing that to my attention. so now i will get one for upstairs and see if that will hold the speed by going thru 2 gigabit switches. if anyone thinks not then i will run 2 cat5 cables up to the pc we have here at the table and connect them to that gigabit switch. but if it is ok to go ther 2 gigabit switches then that will be lot's easier. just have to change out a switch. thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
100Mbps port speed on the switch is the theoretical maximum. You will rarely, if ever, reach it in normal operation, no matter how connected. You want faster, you need gigabit ports everywhere in the chain.

i did get the gs105 switch and i really need at least 12 ports at that location as it is at the modem. can these switches be daisy chained together? if so i will get some 8 port switches and if i connect at least 2 together i will have 13 ports and i use 12 now on that 26 port 10/100 switch i have now.

Do not connect 2 cables between the 2 switches. In best case the switch will detect this and disable one of the connection. The much more common result with consumer grade switches is you will get a massive broadcast loop. The traffic will over load the switch and all devices connected and everything will become useless.

You should never exceed 1gbit of bandwidth between the switches anyway.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
no i do intend to connect 2 wires to one switch in a loop what i was asking is can i take 2 gigabit 8 port switches and connect one to the modem and then take a second cable and connect from the switch i just connected to the modem and jump it to the next 8 port gigabit switch? so 1 switch is connected to the modem and then to the next switch so 1 switch has 6 open ports and the second switch then has 7 open ports? or daisy chain. thanks.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i got the gigabit 5 port network switches and i hooked them up. i had to daisy chain 2 at the modem and then on up stairs and one so far at the dvr/nvr system. the cameras are not doing gigabit speed but they may not be capable of it. my pc is lighting both lights on the switch but the wifes pc is not yet. that may come after she gets on it tonight. if not her pc may not be capable of that speed. if i can find a 16 port gigabit switch i will get one just for a better looking setup.

anyway my tablet did not increase much if any and that was the main reason i went to the gigabit switches. i have 72 mbps according to the network connection on the tablet. and the 100 light is lit on the switch. my guess is the wifi extender is not that fast. so is there such a beast as a gigabit wifi extender? if so i should get one and then see if i get more speed at the tablet. the wifi extender is about 3 ft from the tablet. also the xcody v11 tablet just may not be able to go that fast on wifi either. if not then i'm looking at the fire kindle hd. i'm told they are real good but i will have to add apps to be able to run the android tiny cam app unless that app is available for the fire kindle. but for now my pc has 119 mbps, and tonight i will see what the wife has on her pc. so thanks for the help on this so far.

if anyone happens to know if it will do me any good to get a gigabit wifi extender if they are made let me know. thanks.

72Mbps is very good for wireless. You will never see the advertised rate for wireless as those numbers are strictly marketing BS. First, wireless is only half-duplex (cut the advertised speed in half). Second, every device added to the wireless channel reduces bandwidth to every other device on that channel. There's nothing more you can do there without spending stupid amounts of money for not very much more. It only gets worse when you start adding wireless repeaters (reduces bandwidth roughly half for each one in the chain).

Status
Not open for further replies.