[SOLVED] Network speed drops to 0 during speed test and downloading files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I tried to search for a solution online but could not find any definite answers. Also, not many others with same problem.
I will try to keep it short.

My network speed drops to virtually 0 b/s when I try to download any file from the internet. Web browsing somewhat works but it is very slow and sometimes it cannot even bring up pages that are complex with a lot of data. When I try to run the speed test, speed spikes to the rated speed of 20 mbits then slowly drops to 0.

Here is a link to a video that demonstrates the issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7EmGXPnA2E

I isolated the issues to the PC itself. Everything works great when I connect my laptop with the same cable I use to connect the PC. I also tested the connection via USB Tethering over my phone and works well over WiFi and 4G.
I also tried resetting all the network drivers and adapters, updating, updating windows, disabling firewall, winsock registry edit, Nothing works. I did not touch the firewall on the router settings. Router is ZTE ZXDSL 931VII.

What remains as plausible cause to the problem is the network card (section of the motherboard), some wild settings in the router specific to the PC, router itself, Windows itself.

I reported the issue to the ISP, they are basically keeping distance to the problem as other devices are working fine on the network.

I feel like that the connection gets choked when it gets a big packet of data. I also noted that when you leave the PC idle and the connection for a couple of hours, and then run the speed test, it holds steady connection at 20 mbits, then I run the test again and start to drop a bit, then run it for the third time and it starts to drop to 0 drastically fast the more and more you load it. Once I think I saw the network die out totally and Windows show it like I unplugged the cable from the PC for a second.

Any thoughts on the issue are welcome. I just hope it is not a fried MBO (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon). Maybe I should try with a fresh Windows install.

Best,

Stjepan

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
It's probably not a software issue, and seeing as you use a ethernet cable, try updating drivers for you ethernet reciever on the motherboard. Also, maybe try cleaning it out? There might be some gunk thats blocking bandwidth.

Before you reinstall windows try a USB linux image. This should boot up and run without touching the windows install. Now in theory it could be a disk issues which this test will not show since it does not use your disk.

I would check the even viewer and see if you see any errors durning this time. You could be getting network errors but those you would need to do something like a wireshark capture to see.

It is strange that it works on a tethered connection. Is is just the ethernet connected to your router or does it do the same thing when you use wifi connected to your router.

If you have installed any of that silly network gaming stuff that was bundled with the motherboard I would try to uninstall it.

Reactions: frosty984
Oct 5, 2020
Before you reinstall windows try a USB linux image. This should boot up and run without touching the windows install. Now in theory it could be a disk issues which this test will not show since it does not use your disk.

I would check the even viewer and see if you see any errors durning this time. You could be getting network errors but those you would need to do something like a wireshark capture to see.

It is strange that it works on a tethered connection. Is is just the ethernet connected to your router or does it do the same thing when you use wifi connected to your router.

If you have installed any of that silly network gaming stuff that was bundled with the motherboard I would try to uninstall it.
WiFi works great. I do not have any of those gaming giggles installed that have anything to do with LAN. I will try the Linux image and Wireshark to capture errors.

What is weird right know is that I was on a tethered connection for 2 hours and decided to plug the LAN cable back in and run a speed test to see if any errors pop up in the event viewer and discovered that the speed test and internet connection is WORKING FINE. Downloading files is also working. I do not know why is it working now, did I touch something? Who knows, maybe because it is very late in the night... don't know, I will check tomorrow again. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oct 5, 2020
Event viewer shows 3 errors that are reoccuring:

1. DistributedCOM, ID 10016,
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-R661LCS\Frosty SID (S-1-5-21-2727120898-4236627718-4227362475-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

2. AppModel-Runtime, ID 65, Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

3. Kernel-EventTracing, ID 3, Session "PerfDiag Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

Ralston18

Titan
Run Windows 10's built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next----

Try running "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Next would be "dism"

Do stay out of the registry. Registry edits are a last resort and only attempted for a specific, known fix. And after fully backing up the existing registry, the system, and all data.

Oct 5, 2020
Run Windows 10's built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next----

Try running "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Next would be "dism"

Do stay out of the registry. Registry edits are a last resort and only attempted for a specific, known fix. And after fully backing up the existing registry, the system, and all data.
Troubleshooters do not detect any problems. SFC did not find any integrity problems as well as DISM did not find any corruption.

Registry was backed up as well as data.

Ralston18

Titan
Run and post the results of "arp -a".

Referencing the posted "ipconfig /all".....

Did you assign a static IP address (192.168.1.2) to the PC?

If so, what was the reason for doing so?

If not, check your Ethernet network adapter settings to ensure that the PC is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

Oct 5, 2020
Run and post the results of "arp -a".

Referencing the posted "ipconfig /all".....

Did you assign a static IP address (192.168.1.2) to the PC?

If so, what was the reason for doing so?

If not, check your Ethernet network adapter settings to ensure that the PC is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".
I did that in hope it would make a difference if I assign the DNS servers. Also, I did that in past so I could do some port forwarding. I reverted these changes to automatic and then ran arp -a command. Results: https://ibb.co/N7WxKdx
NOTE: After reverting the IP adress to automatic, the problem remained exactly the same.

Ralston18

Titan
Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not then disable.

Are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled on your PC? No wireless adapter or, if present, then the wireless network adapter is disabled - correct?

According to "arp -a" you have four other network devices all DHCP - is that correct?

Oct 5, 2020
Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not then disable.

Are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled on your PC? No wireless adapter or, if present, then the wireless network adapter is disabled - correct?

According to "arp -a" you have four other network devices all DHCP - is that correct?
I disabled IPv6, no differences. There is a second network adapter that I use for USB Tethering from my phone but it is disabled when I am using Ethernet.

Other devices are 2 or 3 phones, 2 laptops and a smart thermostat that would be all, nothing new, it is like that for months.

I have captured my network with Wireshark during a download speed test. I do not know how to interpret this data and it seems a little overwhelming to me. Would anyone care to take a look? This is the link to the file where I uploaded it: https://easyupload.io/6yc4a2

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

EDIT: From what I have figured out reading online, it seems like I am getting around 4.7% packet loss which seems very bad. Those are bad TCP re-transmissions etc.

NOTE: For the third night in a row I have noted that during night time, somewhere after midnight the network speed return to normal without any droppings. To me this smells like ISP problem after all...however I am still boggled about the fact while during daytime my PC is acting up but on other devices it is working fine. Cable is not the problem, I tested that.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020
Here is a log from today:

Manufacturer:ZTE;
ProductClass:ZXDSL 931VII V4.0;
SerialNumber:ZTEEG8LH6303346;
IP:192.168.1.1;
HWVer:V1.1.0;
SWVer:V1.0.11_B_CROATIA;

2020-10-08T11:38:48 [Warning] RunProcess process[webd] Event[0x2202] dwUsedTicks[332]
2020-10-08T18:14:47 [Notice] sendprogstop: pppd[1629] died exit_code = 16 exit_status = 1
2020-10-08T18:14:47 [Notice] Internet (Name:Internet_VDSL Type:pPP) connection down.
2020-10-08T18:14:48 [Notice] Internet (Name:Internet_VDSL Type:pPP) connection established successfully. IP Address: 93.139.177.228, DNS Server: 195.29.247.161, 195.29.247.162, Gateway: 172.29.252.89
2020-10-08T18:14:48 [Warning] pName(ip route) is not ProcName(ip),startMode=0x0000,fpid=0x00420102,Starter(upnp_igd),cmd(ip route add 239.255.255.250/32 dev br0)
2020-10-08T18:14:53 [Notice] sendprogstop: msntp[1944] died exit_code = 0 exit_status = 1
2020-10-08T22:31:17 [Error] get view failed VID(1) VN(IGD.WD1.ETH1) Err(-5)
2020-10-08T22:31:17 [Warning] call dbAPIGetView failed!DBVIEW_ETH,IGD.WD1.ETH1
2020-10-08T22:31:25 [Warning] RunProcess process[tr069] Event[0x2303] dwUsedTicks[787]

Oct 5, 2020
SOLVED!!!

Convinced the ISP to come to my house, guy was very confused about the issue, in the end I persuaded him to give it a shot and change my router. Router changed, everything works fine for 3 days now. Thank to anyone that tried to help. Best to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.