Network speed for hard drives

Aug 6, 2018
I have two computers and 2 USB3 passport Hard Drives and one network drive. From my AMD 955 I get a speed on 1 MB per second and on my i5 I get 30 MB per seconds and I can't figure out why? Any ideas? I check my speed and on my AMD 955 I only get 9 MB upload and download and on my I5 I get 78 MB and 11 MB so is my AMD 955 just to old?

U really have 2 separate issues. The drives are attached to your machines locally, u do not "get out" to the Internet to talk to your hard drives, so maybe you are accessing PC2's HD from PC1 and you do go through your LAN, but LAN speed is typically very fast in comparison but suspect WIFI if you are going through WIFI. Sometimes USB3 interface are not at their full speed due to wrong driver.

Aug 6, 2018
I don't remember putting any driver in for my Passports. USB3 are very fast on my passports 5 Gb's and my LAN in 1 Gb's. I'm at about 30 times faster on my i5 and I was doing each computer one at a time and not together.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Do both computers have a usb3 port or only USB2. You need both USB3 hdd and usb3 port on computer, otherwise it drops down to usb2.

I am confused about how you are testing,

In my experience on a 1Gb link (cat6) you should be able to sustain a 100MByte/Sec throughput. This is limited by the network and not your disks.

On a wifi link it will be less, depending on your router etc.

Transferring over USB3 should be only limited by the hdd (so about 120MB/s).

USB2 will be much slower, 48MBs.

You should draw a little diagram showing each link that your data needs to traverse, you can then start to focus on the bottleneck.