[SOLVED] Network speeds

sledx1

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
I don't really understand this, if I buy 940 mbps internet from spectrum at 120 dollars a month, why can I buy a 1750 mbps router from netgear. Like does spectrums modem have to run 1 gigabit for me to run that or can I just buy the 1750 mbps netgear router and run it at that speed. Sorry if this question is confusing. Thank you for your time.

Solution
You will be lucky to get 300mbps using wifi on that router.

You need to understand the lies that the router manufactures are telling when they say 1750. First they are adding the 2.4 radio at 450 to the 5g radio at 1300. A single end device can not actually use both radios at the same time. Next they are adding upload and download speeds together to get those numbers. It would be like calling a 1gbit ethernet 2gbit. Except that ethernet can actually accomplish that. Wifi mostly because it is half duplex but because of other overhead can only get a tiny fraction of the numbers you see.

The reason you see 940 rather than 1gbit is there is overhead in the way the data is being sent. It actually is running at 1gbit but...
You will be lucky to get 300mbps using wifi on that router.

You need to understand the lies that the router manufactures are telling when they say 1750. First they are adding the 2.4 radio at 450 to the 5g radio at 1300. A single end device can not actually use both radios at the same time. Next they are adding upload and download speeds together to get those numbers. It would be like calling a 1gbit ethernet 2gbit. Except that ethernet can actually accomplish that. Wifi mostly because it is half duplex but because of other overhead can only get a tiny fraction of the numbers you see.

The reason you see 940 rather than 1gbit is there is overhead in the way the data is being sent. It actually is running at 1gbit but the difference is because of packet headers.

You will never be able to run faster than you pay for. If for example you only paid for the 100mbps rate the ISP would artificially limit and your current equipment would only run at 100mbps even though it could run more.

To run faster than 1gbit all your equipment like your pc and router would need 10gbit ports. Although it is technically possible for your ISP to say offer 2 or 3gbit plans I doubt there are many people that are willing to pay say $250/month or more. Right now it is almost impossible to use 1gbit plans. The average house does not even really need the 100mbps. Then again the whole system would not work if everyone actually used all their bandwidth. On cable systems the bandwidth is actually shared between you and all your neighbors.

Reactions: sledx1
Solution