Network stuff

G

Hello all
i have a problem
I am running win2000, on a network im connected directly from my netgear 10/100 to a linksys dsl/cable 4port router that portion works great, i want to link other computers to the network through a 4 port hub bad part is the hub is 10baseT and the rest of the network is 100baseTX i dont want to degrade my main computer to 10base using the hub, so i thought i can add another nic card and run that to the hub, then connect to the other computers using my computer as a passthrough. Is this possable?

G

btw, what do you need 100megs for?

<i> There's nothing worse than industrious ignorance </i>
-Goethe

G

Why not just buy a nice little 10/100 switch? You can get one for <$60. Sure you can get another NIC and you might be able to set up W2K pro to route traffic through it's NIC (I know W2K Server can do it... not sure about w2k pro), But it's not worth the hassle. Besides... with a 10/100 switch (or a hub would be even cheaper) you don't require the w2k PC to be on for the others to (net)work....

Also... that linksys router you mentioned... is that the 'hub' you mentioned being only 10Mbps? It's actually a switch running at 10/100. I wasn't sure if you were talking about another hub seperate from all of that...

Anyways... you can probably do it, but it's not worth it. I'd go buy a better 10/100 hub (or switch would be even better but you probably wouldn't notice much difference).

G

lets see network

goes like this, with also what i want to do

internet
...|
...|
router with built in 4 port 10/100
...../...........|....................|.................\
computer....computer....5 port switch...computer
...|................................/........\
4port 10base..............computer..computer
.../...............\
computer...computer
The computer i want to run as a passthrough is on all the time. also i want to do this because i have all the stuff already nic's and the hun etc

G

Depending on how where the machines are physically located, why not move one of the lone computers connected to the linksys onto the 5-port switch, then connect the hub directly to the linksys with a crossover? It would solve your problem of having to get IP forwarding working on the w2k machine.

Having the 10bT hub connected to the switch will not in any way degrade the performance of the other ports; just when you try to access through the 10Mb connection.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

G

well the computer with the 10b T is in another room away from all the rest so i cant do that (i thought about it) but to much cable.
also why dont they teach this stuff in cisco? (currently in)

The squirl is out!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zippy_The_Squirl on 04/12/01 11:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

How much cable is too much cable? It's not that expensive you know...

I'm just saying it's quite a hassle to configure W2K to route between two subnets... I've done it before (over a VPN/modem though) and it ain't fun.

How about you turn an old machine into a router? http://www.practicallynetworked.com has a software download section where you can download a floppy based linux router (supposedly pretty easy to set up).

Maybe MS has an article on how to set up W2K to route between subnets... I'm pretty sure you have to have W2K server for that to work though...

They probably don't teach this in cisco class, because this is a MS solution you're looking for. You could always buy a cisco router to do the trick, but I don't think you want to spend that kinda money...

G

well reason i dont just run the cable is no$
im 17, its hard to come by at this age
I have w2k advanced server, will that do the trick?
Also i can use yet another box to use as a router, but im not the best with linux. I played around a bit with mandrake but thats about it. Also the computer is a pentium 60 would it work?

The squirl is out!

G

A P60 with about 16MB of ram would do the trick (32 would be a bit better). But linux isn't quite intuitive if you've only played with it a bit....

With W2K, you'll add the second NIC, assign it's own IP (different subnet, so if you're at 192.168.1.x right now, the new NIC could be 192.168.2.x (or even 10.0.0.x - it doesn't have to be the same in any way)). This will be the gateway IP of all the computers behind it.

In W2K, you'll want to go to Routing and Remote Access (Start -> programs -> Administrative Tools -> RRAS). You'll want to configure your machine to route between networks (so it passes info from the 192.168.1.x network to 192.168.2.x network and vice versa).

If you go to Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Configure your server, Go to Networking and Routing, and follow the instructions (it's shouldn't be too hard... look up microsoft.com's knowledgebase for any questions specific to routing, etc...). You'll probably want the LAN-LAN routing with NAT (for access to the Internet).

Any helpful?

TRENDING THREADS