Network Time Outs and Ping Spikes

Nov 14, 2018
So what seems to me like out of nowhere, I started getting large ping spikes in some games and even lesser connection when browsing streaming websites like Youtube or Twitch.

At first I thought it was just a temporary thing because my isp isn't the most reliable and they're known for things like that, but it's continued for about a month now. I pulled up network graphs and sure enough there were random link spikes every 15s - 1min.

Then I went into command prompt and tried pinging a website like www.google.com and there were request time outs at about the same intervals. But then I tried pinging my router and other than one spike of 2ms in 5 min I didn't see any kind of spikeage or time out, so now I'm a little stumped.

I looked to see if hamachi was abusing my default gateways and didn't see it's address in there, but I ended up uninstalling it to be sure but it didn't change anything.

I'm not exactly a tech expert but I tried my best at trouble shooting and didn't turn up any luck. I read somewhere if the command prompt request time out is happening I should call my isp, but with the way they are in my city I'd rather have that as a last resort. I'm also running windows 10, and a Ethernet connection, thanks for any help in advance.

You need to see the bandwidth first. If it's timing out when there is no bandwidth moving then it is worth calling them. See if your router has anything to monitor the total. small spikes can be hard to see when looking at graphs with averages.

you can plug your pc into the modem and run your resource monitor if you don't have anything else. You must be the only client for this to work.

run some speed tests and make sure you are getting the right speed.

Nov 14, 2018
After trying a lot of different things to try and fix my problem, I ended up power-cycling the router, modem, and pc all at the same time and that seemed to fix my issue for the most part. Must have just been something with the DNS or ip leasing or something.