[SOLVED] Network Transfer Speed, decent upload to server very slow downloading from server

amallon

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I have a wierd issue.

I have a gigabit switch. When I copy a 2gb file to the server I get a transfer speed of 120MB/s, when I copy the same file back to the PC I get a transfer rate of 20MB/s

The machine is an i5 with an SSD. The cabling in this office is quite old, probably 10-15 years old but the PC is telling me it has a gigabit connect in the network status.

Any ideas?

Solution
If you really want to test your network use a program called IPERF. It is not impacted by stuff like disk, memory, cpu. It pretty much just tests the network card its drivers and the physical connection between the machines.

I suspect you will get 900+mbps in both directions. I highly doubt it is a actual network issue but this confirm it.

This is a strage issue I have seen many times but there is not clear cause. It is almost always related to the file transfer software but sometime it is disk system related. Disks have a very different performance writing data than reading data. Still your difference is huge so I am not so sure it is disk.

It is a matter of elimination to find this.
If you really want to test your network use a program called IPERF. It is not impacted by stuff like disk, memory, cpu. It pretty much just tests the network card its drivers and the physical connection between the machines.

I suspect you will get 900+mbps in both directions. I highly doubt it is a actual network issue but this confirm it.

This is a strage issue I have seen many times but there is not clear cause. It is almost always related to the file transfer software but sometime it is disk system related. Disks have a very different performance writing data than reading data. Still your difference is huge so I am not so sure it is disk.

It is a matter of elimination to find this.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
When you say 120MB/s you are using a big "B". This indicates bytes, not bits. I'm just making sure you really meant bytes(?) If yes, your upload is about 960Mb/s which is great for a 1Gb/s connection.
The much slower download could be AV software on the PC actively scanning your download. It could also be disk related (on the server end) but I would look at the PC end first.