Network user needs to access their Windows desktop and data from other computers on the network

Aug 29, 2018
I have a toughie for you. Is there a way for a user on a network to access their main Windows desktop and environment when they are using other computers on a network? The problem is that sometimes their main workstation will have somebody else logged into it. To complicate matters, creating a server for the person so they can RDS into is not feasible. To clarify the question, can the user have a sort of traveling profile that when they log in any computer on the network it will load their personal Windows desktop with all their software, links, etc. No way right?

Solution
A Windows computer is "personal" - one user at a time. If someone else is logged in into that computer, then no one else can have the desktop.

There are/were some hacks allowing Windows desktop to behave (from RDP point of view) as a terminal server (allowing for multiple remote sessions), but I would not go this route.
Dunno why is this so tough. Is only tough if u piece-meal things together.

A well designed MS Network is quite powerful, and the access permission follows the user signon, not the physical machine. A domain server with user accounts, setup by a competent, certified Microsoft System Engineer. Admin defines what users can do, how much of the desktop they are allowed to change, what file servers they have access to, many things. That's what enterprises do.

A Windows computer is "personal" - one user at a time. If someone else is logged in into that computer, then no one else can have the desktop.

There are/were some hacks allowing Windows desktop to behave (from RDP point of view) as a terminal server (allowing for multiple remote sessions), but I would not go this route.

Solution