Networked Display Port/HDMI

Kimpton

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Hello,

I've looked on Google for the last hour or so for a particular wire. I have my base PC in one room of my house - and I would like to set-up a second monitor to another room (upstairs). What would be ideal is if I could get a displayport to plug into my PC, which then gets plugged into my switch, for then in my room, plug another network cable in the switch, which can be plugged into a display port. (or HDMI).

I know I could do things such as RDC but I don't really want a client machine up there.

I've looked into separating the HDMI/DP cable and matching them to network cables, although I found the distance would be too long...

Solution
You're not going to be able to do what you want. HDMI is 10.2 Gbps. Displayport is 32.4 Gbps. There's simply no way you can transmit them over Gigabit network hardware. The HDMI/DP to ethernet adapters you've found don't let you plug the resulting ethernet cable into a switch. They just allow you to substitute cheap Cat5/6 cable for the long run. e.g. HDMI <=> Cat6 <=> HDMI.

If you don't want to use a PC with RDC, then I can think of two alternatives. One is to use a RDC-like client to stream your desktop. Something like Splashtop going to an Android device hooked up to your TV, or Chromecast desktop mirroring...
You're not going to be able to do what you want. HDMI is 10.2 Gbps. Displayport is 32.4 Gbps. There's simply no way you can transmit them over Gigabit network hardware. The HDMI/DP to ethernet adapters you've found don't let you plug the resulting ethernet cable into a switch. They just allow you to substitute cheap Cat5/6 cable for the long run. e.g. HDMI <=> Cat6 <=> HDMI.

If you don't want to use a PC with RDC, then I can think of two alternatives. One is to use a RDC-like client to stream your desktop. Something like Splashtop going to an Android device hooked up to your TV, or Chromecast desktop mirroring.
http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/?PageSpeed=noscript

The other is to get a really long HDMI cable. This can either be a very thick HDMI cable (the bigger wires minimize signal loss), or a Redmere cable are thinner and draws some power from the TV to use to boost the signal strength from the source.

If the intent is to watch movies from your PC in another room, then do what i7Baby says. Install a media server on your PC and use it to stream the movie (basically a H.264 stream) to either a smart TV or something like a Chromecast or Roku plugged into the TV.

Solution

Kimpton

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Thank you for clarifying that. I understand the speed conversions... That's such a shame :( I would like to use it for gaming, my rig is just awfully heavy and I didn't want to have to move it every time I had friends over (from office to gaming room). I own a chromecast, I'll look into that,

Kimpton

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I own a Nvidia Shield and I'll probably end up using it for this case. I just wondered if such a cable existed and I would have thought it would produce a better quality.