[SOLVED] Networking issues in home

So i had my desktop setup via ethernet for about a month in are din, after which i replaced with a xbox one. Now basically no one in the house has internet, cant try setting up the pc again for the din has been made into a temp bedroom for kids. Howecer wifi is down no one gets any wifi at all the kids xbox works with the ethernet. Ps4, xbox ones phones all that worked last night for about 3hrs after centery link came out and looked at it and then nothing again they said they did nothing and i watched they didn't do anything minus unplug my extender that i had been planning on doing for months but thinking about it about to plug it back in and see id we can connect to it.

Edit so no it's odd all of a sudden after unplugging my pc from the router/modem it's like wifi period is shut off for extender and router. Extender is even plugged in via ethernet

Last edited:
Solution
And, wanting to be fair to the ISP techs, just how did they not notice the damaged wire?

It seems to me that before they started unplugging things they would have taken a look about to see what was connected to what.

Just a simple walk-around /look-see could save them lots of time. Whether or not the problem is theirs or yours.....
Well after loging into the router/ modem it is asking to be connected to dsl so something tells me bad modem/router combo all of a sudden cable died or rats in the walls and if its the last theres going to to be war with the kids and in the walls
I would call your isp--if the modem is asking to be connected, there could be an outage--which ish 100x more likely than equipment failure ime.

Ralston18

Titan
And, wanting to be fair to the ISP techs, just how did they not notice the damaged wire?

It seems to me that before they started unplugging things they would have taken a look about to see what was connected to what.

Just a simple walk-around /look-see could save them lots of time. Whether or not the problem is theirs or yours.....

Reactions: Nemesia and SamirD
Solution
Exactly. They checked the signal level which was none because the cable was chewed upon and the internet wasn't even working. So they saw that. They sent someone but that person did not check the cable outside. You think they saw a good signal there with a broken cable with no internet? I'm sure they couldn't even see the router connected.

It's just weird to me when an expert of fixing stuff goes to your house and can't fix stuff or at least find the issue for you.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I think the dog maybe bit the wire at first and walked away leaving some data transferring and it was right against the house yes the cable is buried it was where it can out of the wall to the house he chewed it up so that will now be getting covered with conduits
Wow! Was the cable not buried?!?