Question Networking problem with QOS possibly. my computer does not get the internet it should get.

Jett_______2131223

Prominent
Jul 15, 2020
Recently, my computer has decided to use less network. previously, it used about 70mps and suddenly wont use more than 15mps. I run a server on the machine so I need good internet. my internet plan is 80mps and we own a century link router. my computer uses WIFI, but its in the same spot as it was when it worked well and when I use my laptop in the same place, it uses 70 mps. how can I get my computer to use more network when it needs it?

You best first option to test is to either tun a long ethernet cable over the floor or move the machine close to the router. It will quickly show if the problem is wifi or it is something else in the machine. It does no good for example to try to fix machine setting if it is a wifi issue.

YOU may not have changed anything but one of your neighbors may have gotten new routers or moved something that it now interferes more. You can't really compare how well a laptop works at the same location mostly because the antenna are not really in the same exact location and it take only a very small variation to affect performance. You have to be very sure they are both using the same radio. Many people leave the 2.4g and 5g radios on the same name and the computer may pick the wrong radio

Try turning the pc or somehow move the antenna to see if it makes a differnce. It could also be that the wifi card has become bad. You might want to try to boot a USB linux image to see if it works better. Most wifi devices are supported by the linux image but not all are so this may not be a valid test

There are so many possibilities when it is windows causing the issue. Maybe try a UBS linux boot image. This will let you test your hardware without changing windows.

Also from the title of your post be very sure you do not have any of that silly gamer network software install. It many times comes bundled with the motherboard. No matter what the software does it can never affect traffic outside the machine so it is pretty much worthless. You should also check the router to be sure there is no qos settings but since it does it on mulitple nic cards it would take a large effort to limit them all individually.

Jett_______2131223

Prominent
Jul 15, 2020
There are so many possibilities when it is windows causing the issue. Maybe try a UBS linux boot image. This will let you test your hardware without changing windows.

Also from the title of your post be very sure you do not have any of that silly gamer network software install. It many times comes bundled with the motherboard. No matter what the software does it can never affect traffic outside the machine so it is pretty much worthless. You should also check the router to be sure there is no qos settings but since it does it on mulitple nic cards it would take a large effort to limit them all individually.
I have only the radeon software that comes with my gpu drivers.

I would remove any form of QoS program. It is outright stupid. The only things it can do is prioritize sending gaming traffic over other traffic on your machine itself. This would only be useful for someone stupid enough to try to run bit torrent in the back ground while they play games. It is much simpler to only run the game when you need performance than to do silly stuff and then think a magic program is going to fix it.

All these QoS things seem to cause strange issue for people.

There are a number of linux boot images you just search for them. Which you use is mostly a personal preference. They are all pretty much free. They are mostly used as troubleshooting tools to fix broken windows. They have lots of features you are not going to use to do stuff like fix broken windows file systems.

My bet is that linux will run fine but all that really means is you are almost back where you are now. You at some point blindly reinstall windows and hope the problem goes away.

I forget that idiot bug all the time. You would have though microsoft would have pushed a fix to undo what they broke.

Wifi disconnect is hard to say. It could be the drivers but it is more likely you or your nieghbor changed radio channels. I would look for wifi drivers from the chipset vendor not the ones microsoft loads.