Networking problem...

G

Hey
I recently bought a Netgear Network Starter Kit just to network up to pcs, it was one of those two pci cards and a hub things. Anyway, I didn't really know what I was doing when I set it up but I followed steps for setting up the network on the two computers, after I had installed the hardware, which I had found on the internet someplace such as the Network neighbourhood settings and file sharing and stuff. I made sure there were no hardware conflicts or anything, and that all the harware was working fully but I have not been able to make the computers see each other on network neighbourhood. Are there any BIOS settings or stuff like that that I've missed?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you using Win98?

1. Make sure that both are under the same Workgroup.
2. Make sure the proper protocols are installed (usually TCP/IP or IPX)
3. If your going to share files, you need to install File and Print Sharing

If one of the computers has a modem, you may want to run WINIPCFG. Just go to Start>Run> and type winipcfg and hit ENTER. Select your Ethernet card from the pulldown menu and make sure it has the correct IP information. You could try hitting RELEASE and then RENEW. This helps in the event that your computer dials into your ISP (i.e. cable modem)

Hope this helps.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

G

I've set all this stuff but still no good. Is there anything else I can do?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Normally this is all that needs to be done. I think there is a network test utility provided by netgear. If there is try it.

It may help if you tell me exactly all that you've done. If your using Win98 I should be able to help.

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
One other thing easily overlooked: make sure you have at least one folder shared on each machine. If you don't have at least one folder shared, sometimes the computer won't appear in Network Neiborhood. Also try Start>Find>computer at search for the other PC.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good point. I have noticed this before too. I didn't see the other computers until I enabled the hardrive (or folders) to be shared.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
what ip's did you assign? can you ping one another?
as mentioned, Network Neighbourhood sometimes takes AGES to show other pc's. try pinging. also try this on both machines:
ping 127.0.0.1 if you DONT get a reply, then your network settings arnt right, if so, reinstall tcp/ip. (i presume you are using tcp/ip)
127.0.0.1 is a loopback test- you dont actually get the reply from the other system.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers