Networking solution for bedroom

Sep 30, 2018
My house has a router from my ISP in the living room. On the other side of the house is my bedroom, in which my PC resides.

The way I dealt with this up until recently is to have an old NETGEAR WGR614v9 connected to the ISP's router with a very long ethernet cable running along the walls. The problem is that this router has now started resetting itself over and over, and does not work anymore. Wireless signal is not an option here, at least from my perspective.

I would like to ask for advice regarding how to have a direct, wired connection to my PC, as well as having a wireless access point so I am able to use my phone in my bedroom.

Would it be better to buy another router, or to buy a switch? Or something different?

Thanks for your help

A switch does not give you the wifi you need. You could buy a actual AP if you want but it tend to be cheaper to buy a inexpensive router and use it as a AP. The advantage tends to be that a router has a small switch built in where a real AP tends to only have 1 ethernet port. The AP though can most times be powered by the ethernet cable which is not really something you care about.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You say house. And router. Where is the modem? Does anything actually need to be in the living room? Is there cable access in the bedroom? Is it a 1 story house with attic access or is the bedroom upstairs in a 2 story.

Kinda gotta know some limitations and get a better picture. If there's cable on the bedroom, just move the equipment there, get a newer modem, most have wireless capability now on 2.4/5GHz channels. That would make wifi and hard connection to pc simple. If you are DSL and the modem has to stay where it is, and the house is single story, run a cat5e through the attic to the bedroom, use a wireless capable router in the bedroom. 2 story house gets interesting, but it's still usually doable to get the cat5e pretty close without too much, if any, drywall damage.

You could also look into powerline adapters which transfer internet via the household electrical system, still enabling a wireless router in the bedroom for Wi-Fi/hard wire pc.