networking...sorta...with win2k

Beetle

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
hey guys, im considering building back up my old P2 350mhz machine just for kicks, and slapping a new 120gb hard drive in it. installing win2k, getting a second cable connection into my house for it, and have it just do downloads and run fileshare software. now, I know i could network the two comps and my cable modem together through a hub, but due to the bandwidth that filesharing takes up I want to just get a second cable connection and second modem (so what if im a wasteful techno-whore :) ) my question is, if both computers are hooked up to the cable modem via LAN cards, how would I be able to network them together? would two lan cards work? 2 cable modems and 2 comps all hooked into the same hub?

what would my options be?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Hmm...
"how would I be able to network them together? would two lan cards work? 2 cable modems and 2 comps all hooked into the same hub?"
With great difficulty and uncessary complexity!!

For a smooth, stable and NO Problems solution, just
Go with a 4 port Cable/DSL Router/Switch! Its just too smooth and trouble free!
And has MUCH MORE BANDWITH than your ever going be using with two computers!
I've been usin a Linksys 8 port Router/Switch(BEFSR81) pluged into the DSL/Cable modem for two years+ now, with 6 computers on the LAN, and NEVER had a bandwith problem... YA think any one box with even a fast disk and a max disk speed of no more that 6mb/s can even come close to sending or recieving the lan/nic bandwidth of 100mb/s! What you want to do is EXACTLY what these little cheap Router/Switches are made for!

Plug the Cable modem in to the router - let the Router(WAN) side manage the logon and WAN connection! Plug the computers(with only one NIC each) onto the Switch(Lan ports) side - the Switch preforms the same function as a hub, only much faster and adds harwdare(NAT) firewall protection. And ENJOY the RIDE!!!

A 4 port Linksys Router/Switch is like $60 and more than enough Bandwidth!
No need to recreate the wheel - They do the job VERY Well!!!
And Enjoy Being decadantly wastefull somewhere else...

Beetle

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
to be honest my concern isnt clogging up the network, but clogging up my internet connection. maximum throughput is only about 100k/s which is pretty decent, but with my fileshare server constantly downloading at about 50-70k, that doesnt leave me a whole lot of bandwidth for surfing and gaming. as it is i have a cramp of a time with edonkey running while trying to surf. thats why I want to utilize two internet connections :\ that would be fine with one uncapped connection but unfortunately my cable provider doesnt offer one that the moment. I just want to be able to leave my fileshare server running without having to worry about shutting it down or using a zonealarm lock or some such when I want to play BF1942 or whatever online. or if I want to download a game patch, windows update, ect on this computer.

my cable is a 512k service, but if im not mistaken thats only what, 80 - 90k a second? thats just not enough im afraid. although I could be wrong.

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Well, If ya must...
It's not that difficult or complex...

1 Nic on each machine would be didicated to the Lan... Configrued in an internal/nonroutable IP addr range like 192.168.1.x. They would probably have to be configured manually with static IP's as you don't have a DHCP server on the LAN... That would be the easiest.

The other Nic on each box would be dedicated for the WAN connection, It would be configured automaticly by the conection software supplied by your ISP. It's Ip would be a WAN IP assigned by the ISP's DCHP sever.

Keepin trach of which NIC is LAN and which is WAN, and the which Userid/password is used on each machine would be you responcibility, along with installing/configuring the connection software, and perhaps even actually initiating the connection seqence yourself... plus manually responding to disconects - and keeping track of which external IP is which for remote access...

IMHO and experience, the ISP's supplied connection "software" is not nearly as fast, reliable or versitle as a Routers connection "hardware"! In my case, using BellSouth's Connect software, which creates yet another logical virtual NIC and layer of software, my connection is quite slower and not nearly as reliable as compared to my router. With BellSouth Connect, I can't quite get above the 1mbit barrier, like 940kb,/s on DSL Reports speed test. With mylittle LinkSys router, I get an "AWESOME" rated connection around 1300+ kb/s - Awesome....

And let's not even talk about connection reliability - I have't logged on in over 2 years - It's literally always there!, /24/7/365... That little hardware router SMOKES a software connection and adds reliability and versitility with port routing, filtering, redirection and etc++...
Speed alone is over 300+kb/s!!!

I've been down the 2 NiC and connection oftware route when I first got DSL and ran a proxy server for a while... ya it works, perhaps even acceptably, but what a PAIN!

If ya really gotta go to 2 WAN connections, how about a variation...
Say , for one - your personal WAN connection, ya can use a cable modem and router/switch, which will supply a WAN, LAN, and DHCP functions and only need one NIC per box.
Then for the other dedicated special purpose domnload WAN connection, ya can put second NIC on only one box! And ya have a simple, easily configured Backup thru the routed connection if the special purpose connection has problems...

Theres lots a variations here... Plan it first, then Let
* KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid! (Nothin personal)
* ITABDFI - if it aint broke, dont fix it!
be your guide...

Beetle

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
ahh, sagely advice I belive. if running through a router would be that much faster im all over that boat. ive never broken the 80kb/sec barrier for more than a minute or two. perhaps your initial suggestion of running 1 connection through a router, and an upgrade to my cable providers fastest package...

even if i couldnt get much past 150kb/sec i would be thrilled to have 75kb/sec to each machine. or 60 to the file share server and 90 to the other, ect ect ect. i might just try that solution once i finish building the fileshare server. if its too slow then Ill worry about complicating things :)

Jhokie

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
You would be correct... a 512 kb connection is only a 64 KB connection (you just divide by 8). That really doesn't give you much room at all to download and play games... but is it worth it to pay twice as much?