[SOLVED] networking stuff problems

Jun 6, 2021
Hi,so recently i've installing 500mbps internet,they have powerful wifi ax ONT router,and i own a openwrt router that i use for recent year before i changing isp,but things i wanna ask?

is that possible to make the ISP router as DHCP client (likely AP) from Main Router but it gives internet connection to the main openwrt router (DHCP Server) and my other devices that connect on the ISP LAN Router,so they both in one network (served the DHCP by OpenWRT),because the isp lock all the feature ,ive use openwrt for alot of things.

im new on networking stuff and i just know the little basic thing,i think its a waste when im not using the isp router and buy a new router just for make OpenWRT router as my main router.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Then your disable DHCP on the ISP Router which is likely a modem/router combo.

So the end line path is:

IPS --- > ISP MODEM/router[ ???] --- Ethernet cable ----->[WAN Port] OpenWRT Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables to other wired devices

Basically just ignoring the ISP's Router functions by disabling them. Then all network devices are directed to the OpenWRT router to request DHCP IP Addresses.

Also you will need to determine the correct physical ports for the Ethernet connection between ISP "MODEM" and your OpenWRT Router.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model information for current ISP modem, router, or modem/router if combined?

Make and model for new router to be configured OpenWrt?

So the plan is (line diagram);

ISP ----ISP router ------> network devices

To:

ISP ---- >Your new openwrt router ----- Ethernet cable -----> ISP router (as Access Point , DHCP disabled) ----> network devices.

Correct?

You first need to know what router (hardware and configurations) are supported by your ISP.

You also need to know for sure if you can convert the existing ISP router to an Access Point.

My thought would be to use your new router (with Openwrt) as the main router (if ISP supported) and then purchase another router/AP for use within your network. Especially you can determine or otherwise know for sure that that routercan be configured as an Access Point. Likely you can easily find an older router that will serve as such. And not cost much.

Return the ISP's router and have the rental cost removed from your bill.

Key is to have a more definitive plan for your project.

Reactions: YehezkielLee
Jun 6, 2021
thanks for the replies,sir,so at the end,its not possible? :'(

the actual line plan like this

ISP- ISP Router - Ethernet Cable - OpenWRT Router

i mean the ISP Router get the DHCP from the Main OpenWRT router,so while im using the ISP Router 2.5G LAN port,the router itself give the IP from the OpenWRT router.

so the point is,i just want all the device (device connected from wifi and LAN from ISP Router) get the LAN IP from the openwrt router...

is that access point or bridge?,or whatever is it

if this possible maybe i can call the ISP for remoting the isp router...

thankyou in advance,sir :)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

So the end line path is:

IPS --- > ISP MODEM/router[ ???] --- Ethernet cable ----->[WAN Port] OpenWRT Router [LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables to other wired devices

Basically just ignoring the ISP's Router functions by disabling them. Then all network devices are directed to the OpenWRT router to request DHCP IP Addresses.

Also you will need to determine the correct physical ports for the Ethernet connection between ISP "MODEM" and your OpenWRT Router.

Reactions: YehezkielLee
Solution
Jun 6, 2021

So the end line path is:

thankyou verymuch sir,thats what i wanna hear,before i posting this threads i've just disabling the DHCP server on ISP Router and enable the DHCP server on OpenWRT and set the ip to 192.168.1.1 on OpenWRT and the ISP to 192.168.1.2 but seems the router doesnt give the internet connection to the Main router.

thats why i ask,maybe the wan routing needs tobe assigned by the ISP,because the router itself only showing Wifi and DHCP settings.

and ill call the ISP for remoting the ISP router.

thankyou very much sir,have a nice day...