[SOLVED] Networking Win 95 & Win 10 PC’s

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Have a client who wants to network an old Windows 95 system to a Windows 10 system. Is this evening posssible? Looking for some guidance on how to do, how much work is involved.

Solution
You'll run into two problems--one is that win95 access to the win10 share might not work, but it should work the other way around as I have a win98se system on my network and can access it fine from win7.

The other problem is that you will need to enable smb1.0 on win10 as it was removed for being a 'security issue'.

Depending on what the client is to do--printer share on the win95, file sharing, etc--there may be another way to do it. I can easily share a printer on win9x or set up a file server. It's just not as fast since I only have a 100Mbps nic in it.
You'll run into two problems--one is that win95 access to the win10 share might not work, but it should work the other way around as I have a win98se system on my network and can access it fine from win7.

The other problem is that you will need to enable smb1.0 on win10 as it was removed for being a 'security issue'.

Depending on what the client is to do--printer share on the win95, file sharing, etc--there may be another way to do it. I can easily share a printer on win9x or set up a file server. It's just not as fast since I only have a 100Mbps nic in it.

Solution