Networking windows 7 to win2k

cjcannaliato

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I have 4 computers on my home network. Laptop runs Win 7 Pro; Storm runs Win 7 Ultimate; S-Mach runs Win7 Ultimate (64 bit); AMD64 runs Win 2K. All have the same login and password. Win 7 machines have network discovery turned on. All in the same workgroup.

Laptop sees all machines but can't access S-Mach. It can access all others.
S-Mach sees all machines and can access all drives and folders.
Storm see only Laptop and can access it. Network map shows S-Mach but it does not show up in Network.
AMD64 sees Laptop and can access it; nothing else.

All machines are set up for sharing with full control permission to Everyone.
When I try to access Storm from AMD64 I get the error, "Network path is not found"

Any suggestions?

Charlie

Make sure these are turned off for the section regarding the Home and Work network profiles. Setting it for Public (unless you set this as your network type when it was discovered) won't do you any good.

cjcannaliato

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Another twist: If I assign a specific IP address to each computer, things begin to work. The computers do not show up in "Network" but I can open a command prompt and do "dir \\amd64\c\" and I get a normal result. Since I must use DHCP to connect to the Internet via my cable modem, this is not a solution, but maybe sheds some light on things. Any suggestions?

cjcannaliato

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I have isolated the problem - it is my cable modem. If I disconnect it from my network and reset all of the network adapters, all computers see everything else on the network. If I reconnect the cable modem, the network reverts back to limited connectivity. The cable company says that their responsibility ends at the modem. Is there a way to set up a gateway such that each computer on my network can have a specific IP address and the gateway still operate DHCP?

cjcannaliato

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
For anyone interested, here is what I did to solve this problem: I installed a second LAN port on all computers that need Internet access. Those LAN ports were set up using DHCP and went to an isolated switch and to my cable modem. The other LAN ports were set up using specific IP addresses and were connected to a separate switch. I understand that others using cable modems, especially Verizon FIOS have similar issues. Hope this helps...