[SOLVED] Networking with an unmanaged Switch

Aug 12, 2019
Someone was asking me a question about a network that had unmanaged switches on it. Can you use two different IP ranges on this network. Example 192.168.1.12(this could be any range of number for the last number.)and then on the same network/switches 50.76.4.12(there again the range of the last number could be any number) I told them that this could cause issues. Is this true and if so can you directed me to a web page that would explain it.) This network is not on the internet at all. Let me know if any other details are needed.

Solution
OK we are hearing from a third party, "my friend asks..." do you know WHY he wants to do this? I mean we can be waxing theoretical stuff here and yet never get the point to solve his issue.

If by unmanaged, you are asking for plug&play, no configuration needed, there won't be any VLAN here, 'cuz VLAN needs configuration.

U can, theoretically use disparate subnets (IP layer-3) on a dumb, unmanaged layer-2 switch, 'cuz all it cares are the devices' MAC, and another device on the LAN, a router, a multi-NIC firewall then takes care of the IP routing.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can easily have many network id's on the same switch. what you are looking for is called a VLAN or virtual lan. each port on the switch can be part of different vlan if you wish. the problem is that because they are on different networks, they will not be able to talk to one another. so if your goal is t 100% separate and isolate traffic, then this would be a good way to do it.

however, if you wish to have the networks, be able to talk to one another, then you'll need a router in place to do it. does not have to be on the web but does need to be there to handle the traffic between networks. this is known as a ROAS or router on a stick and a single router can easily handle it if designed to do it.

we are in commercial component territory of course so your average $40 walmart router is not gonna be able to do this.

so now you know what you are looking for, some quick google searching should easily turn up any number of how to's and so on. :)

Aug 12, 2019
you can easily have many network id's on the same switch. what you are looking for is called a VLAN or virtual lan. each port on the switch can be part of different vlan if you wish. the problem is that because they are on different networks, they will not be able to talk to one another. so if your goal is t 100% separate and isolate traffic, then this would be a good way to do it.

however, if you wish to have the networks, be able to talk to one another, then you'll need a router in place to do it. does not have to be on the web but does need to be there to handle the traffic between networks. this is known as a ROAS or router on a stick and a single router can easily handle it if designed to do it.

we are in commercial component territory of course so your average $40 walmart router is not gonna be able to do this.

so now you know what you are looking for, some quick google searching should easily turn up any number of how to's and so on. :)

VLAN would be a managed switch not and unmanaged switch ? Looking at an unmanaged switch

OK we are hearing from a third party, "my friend asks..." do you know WHY he wants to do this? I mean we can be waxing theoretical stuff here and yet never get the point to solve his issue.

If by unmanaged, you are asking for plug&play, no configuration needed, there won't be any VLAN here, 'cuz VLAN needs configuration.

U can, theoretically use disparate subnets (IP layer-3) on a dumb, unmanaged layer-2 switch, 'cuz all it cares are the devices' MAC, and another device on the LAN, a router, a multi-NIC firewall then takes care of the IP routing.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS