NEVER Buy XFX Cards from Scan.co.uk

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I've had 2 XFX 5830's from Scan.co.uk now and both have been faulty. No offer of compensation or upgrade from either party, just both constantly asking me to RMA it and leaving me without a GPU for my new build :(

I've now subsequently asked for my money back and intend to get a Sapphire 5850 from ebuyer. At least I know that’s not a broken chip dressed up in shiny packaging!

Anyone else had problems with XFX cards recently?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Ring up Scans customer service tell them they are obligated under the sales of goods act to take back faulty electronic devices and replace them. Most big companies won't enforce this unless the customer mentions it. I'm surprised at Scan because they are normally excellent to deal with in terms of faulty things.
XFX aren't known for their faulty goods service, they tend to be a bit shady around that area which is why Sapphire is a preferred AIB in those terms.

For the record, my XFX 5970 (touch wood) has been working excellently since day one.

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Well they replaced it once and that was faulty too so now I've asked for a refund rather than a replacement. I don't really want to give Scan or XFX any profit in light of this. Rather my money goes to ebuyer and Saph who I've never had any issues with at all.

I'm also a bit dissapointed as Scan have historically been excellent. XFX however, this was my first time using and can happily say will not be in the future.

Wish I could afford the 5970! :D. My budgets £250

Well Scan replaced a faulty item, then you got another so you asked for your money back and you got your money back, Just some bad luck perhaps. Scan don't make the products so it's not there fault you got 2 faulty products.

BTW you can get a HD5850 from overclock.co.uk for £198

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I'm aware they don't make the products thank you cpt. Patronizing. :p. Hense why I've mentioned XFX.

The email communication (OR lack there of) that I've recived from scan and their dissmssive attitude towards the whole thing is what has put me off. I agree that it does appear just to be a very unlucky situation.

Thanks for the shout on the card though. Ebuyer have it for well over £200. :)

Vanadil

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
"maybe something else in your computer is at fault... "

Works fine with 2 other graphics cards inserted and I've run all programs fine on all other parts if the hardware. Tested the card in 2 other PC's and it presents the same problem.

It's the card :)

Speaking of which am I just blind or is there both no way to get Tom's to inform you that you a have a new PM and no way to get to PMs other than to go to send someone a PM and then click messages above that?

AMW1011

Distinguished

Yes you are correct. Tom's has the WORST PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM EVER!

I think they used to send emails too, but not anymore.