Discussion Never uninstall driver to fix problem like all those stupid websites tell you

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Somehow i can't connect to internet through my wifi so i uninstall wireless driver like a tech support website tell me, and now after restart my wireless drive is completely gone. Now it became worse, my laptop can't even detect any wifi, and i don't know which version of driver should i download. I have to bring my laptop to a shop to fix it. I don't know why 90% of websites on the internet tell people uninstall driver to fix problem?
For example:
  • Problem with keyboard and mouse -> Uninstall KB+M driver -> Can't use keyboard and mouse anymore -> Can't do anything to fix problem
  • Problem with display -> Uninstall display driver -> Laptop can't display anything -> How the heck can i use my laptop if i can't see anything??
  • Problem with wifi -> Uninstall internet driver -> No longer access to internet to fix problem

Somehow i can't connect to internet through my wifi so i uninstall wireless driver like a tech support website tell me, and now after restart my wireless drive is completely gone. Now it became worse, my laptop can't even detect any wifi, and i don't know which version of driver should i download. I have to bring my laptop to a shop to fix it. I don't know why 90% of websites on the internet tell people uninstall driver to fix problem?
For example:
  • Problem with keyboard and mouse -> Uninstall KB+M driver -> Can't use keyboard and mouse anymore -> Can't do anything to fix problem
  • Problem with display -> Uninstall display driver -> Laptop can't display anything -> How the heck can i use my laptop if i can't see anything??
  • Problem with wifi -> Uninstall internet driver -> No longer access to internet to fix problem
Have you gone into Device Manager and done a rescan for new hardware?

The reason to uninstall a driver is that for most things Windows will have a generic driver for it. When the driver is uninstalled, Windows typically will install the generic driver for it and you can figure out what was wrong with the regular driver. If it isn't installed right away you need to go into Device Manager and rescan for new hardware. At that point you will probably get something with a ? somewhere and you can get information on the device after that.

Have you gone into Device Manager and done a rescan for new hardware?

The reason to uninstall a driver is that for most things Windows will have a generic driver for it. When the driver is uninstalled, Windows typically will install the generic driver for it and you can figure out what was wrong with the regular driver. If it isn't installed right away you need to go into Device Manager and rescan for new hardware. At that point you will probably get something with a ? somewhere and you can get information on the device after that.
Actually unless you uninstall AND delete the driver files windows will re install the drivers you had installed before,windows keeps a huge directory full of driver backups(driverstore) ,this is why DDU has to be run from safe mode and has an option to disable reinstallation of drivers,so you can download and install other drivers for your device.
If windows can't find a usable driver in driverstore it will install default ones.

TRENDING THREADS