Never used 2 hdd before please help

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I'm planning on getting either the samsung 830 or vertex 4 128gb and putting win7 or 8 whenever it comes out along with a couple games, but what do i do with my 2tb as i might want to format and use it for just about eveything else adobe/music/videos, i guess what I'm confused about is do i have to install win on both the hdd and ssd and will i need anti-virus programs for both as well lol such a noob.

undergroundtech

Honorable
May 13, 2012
If your wanting to install windows 7 on your ssd hook up the ssd and leave your hdd unconnected until you can install windows 7( format it first though) once its done just hook up your hdd again and windows should automatically detect it

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
You just need to install windows on the SSD. And you don't need to leave your HDD unconnected like the other one said. You just need to go into the bios and change the setting so that the boot order is off of the SSD instead of the HDD. (and since you're booting off of the DVD anyways, you just choose the install to the SSD)

After the install, you can just back up your HDD files and then format it.

Your windows should automatically detect the HDD even if you don't format it and still have a os installed onto it.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
It is often best to have only the OS drive connected during windows installation. There is no way to uninstall windows from the old drive. You can delete all it's file and folders but some are almost always overlooked. Once your OS drive is windows and driver updated 100% you can back up what you want from the old drive and format it to use as whatever type of storage you want. Remember you will need to reinstall your mail client, address books, device drivers and software (printers, keyboard, mouse, cams, etc.) and any programs you had before. If you have pic., music, videos or other media and want to store them (back them up before format) on the HDD, you will need to set windows My Music and similar folders to look in the new locations for media content. None of this is hard just takes a little time.