Never used a mod before. Need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I am new to PC gaming and I don't yet know much about computers, though I am very quick to learn. (And have learned a lot in the very short time that I have spent gaming and researching.) I would really like to know how to use mods but I am afraid it is over my head. Some of the technical jargon is over my head (.exe... what is THAT!?) and I really don't know whee to start. If anybody could help me out and take the time to explain it to me like I am a six-year old I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

As a side note: Can you mod games you purchase over Steam and Games for windows or is that a violation of the license agreement?

Solution

You probably need to put the file in a specific folder, if you plan for the mod being permanent, then doing something like this (this is an example...) C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data and put the corresponding files from the mod in folders name the same....

Or, for most mod launchers, this is correct C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\mods you may have to make a "mods" folder, and it maybe mod instead of mods
If you don't know what an .exe file is, you really need to do a bit more research...

I'll be honest with you: Modding is an extremely broad topic and cannot be explained briefly except in the most generic terms. The most common type of mod consists of taking an existing game and changing the in-game content in some form (add new units/artwork, change the game balance, etc). The detail of how this is done will vary from game to game. You would have to be more specific in terms of which games and mods you are interested in.

To answer your second question; Modding is perfectly legal and in many cases is even encouraged by developers via the release of a Developers Kit to aid in mod-making. An active mod community often keeps a game alive much longer than the intended lifespan of the original release. What a developer will frown upon is if you use modding tools to attempt cheating in on-line matches, or if you try and profit from someone else's work.

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Oh I see. I am sorry about not being specific. I am trying to use the Dragon Age Mod Manager. I don't seem to know how to get the mods to come up in the program. I believe I have found out how to do it manually though.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

You probably need to put the file in a specific folder, if you plan for the mod being permanent, then doing something like this (this is an example...) C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data and put the corresponding files from the mod in folders name the same....

Or, for most mod launchers, this is correct C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\mods you may have to make a "mods" folder, and it maybe mod instead of mods

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.