Nevermind!! w00t!! -- I still hate Maxtor

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I hate Maxtor...I really do.

My boot drive (Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM, 2MB cache) is failing. It's clicking endlessly (even when not accessing data) and made a VERY loud screech, say, 10 or 15 minutes ago. I'm hoping it only affected my secondary partition, where I store my gaming install of Windows, since it is expendable. Though I don't really have any data on this partition that is of terrible importance, this week is finals week and I'd like to have a computer. I have no room on my other drives for another install of Windows, either, so I might be screwed. I also have no way to go out and buy another HDD...since I'm only in HS and living away from home and the closest place that sells computer anything is 30 min away by car. Anyway, I'm avoiding restarting if at all possible. Any hints as to what I should do?? (Other than backup, I already did that when I first heard the clicking, then after I restarted, the screech came).

Anyway, if this Maxtor goes down, that'll be the fifth in 15 months and probably my last maxtor ever. The only good thing that may transpire would be if the Raptors I'm getting for Christmas were in necessity a little early...

Time will tell. Anyway, if I stop posting, it's because of yet another faulty Maxtor!

I think I'm going to throw up.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vapor on 12/09/03 12:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Wow, that is bad luck. My 10 Maxtors are all doing fine, all except that one that got hit but a truck!!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Oh man, I'm so happy. Turns out that only my 2nd partition on the boot drive is messed up, so as long as I don't try to access it or startup in it...I'm fine. All I know is that whenever I try to access it, the drive clicks and I get a BSOD. I restart and go into my normal boot drive, and I'm fine!

I'm so happy that it didn't screw up my main partition!!! Of course, I would be happier if nothing happened. Oh well, having my gaming partition MIA is probably a good thing for finals week.

I think I'm going to throw up.

advent

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2003
I do not like Maxtor either, but to me, 5 disk crashes in 15 months can have two meanings:
- you are very unlucky
- your computer has a problem (eg PSU)

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Unlucky...but I am replacing the PSU in the coming weeks (getting more HDDs), so any related problem with the PSU that I didn't know about should be gone (550W Fortron should do the trick).

All the ways the HDDs have crashed have been different, so I highly doubt it is PSU related (3 crashed before I added a 2nd drive, firewire card (uses power), and two more case fans).

Damn Rambus.