Neverwinter MMO Devs Forced to Roll Game Back After Auction House Exploit Derailed Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
At least they did the right thing and it is a open beta so people should expect this sorta thing. I think the real question is why in the world would any one spend real money to buy things from a cash shop for a game that's in beta? That to me makes no since.

Those companies never learn... game economy mixed with real money will always destroy the game. I guess that dosent matter much for the companies trying to make money. Anyhow i tried this game for about 3 hours, then uninstalled it, so im not too sad about this.
Im more sad about MMos that were actually really good and had to close, like black prophecy, but hey, thats just me.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

that would be true if the game ever went out of beta. BUt with these F2P games, they may never go beyond beta. Saying it is in beta is a wearing thin excuse

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I think players should get free ingame currency that's bought by real money during beta tests cause well... You are beta testing for a company.
In world of tanks beta test, we got $1.50 worth of "gold" every day, equivalent to spending $45 a week. We could not buy gold ourselves.
It is nice to see company do that and say hey, I know my game is not perfect yet, and I thank you by giving you with $45 of purchased currency each month for testing.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I'm glad to know that they are banning exploiter accounts. However, it is my understanding that this problem was around for more then a day. Of course that could just be the internet know it all's spewing at the mouth.
@hotrodex Well, you have to consider 2 things. First, they've already said many times there will be no char wipes. Second, I don't care how loudly you shout it to the world, if you accepting people's money its not a beta anymore.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
i lost a few levels and a few hours of play from this but the devs were pretty communicative on twitter and stuff and they gave a little gift pack of items to those affected. pretty nice for a beta!

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I saw they said they were giving everyone a gift, but I don't recall seeing anything. Maybe I just opened it without thinking...who knows.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I just started playing the game over the past 2 weekends, so this was not a huge deal to me. Some people were acting like it was the end of the world, and that whey were going to quit if there was a roll back. The game is in open beta for a month, and people are acting like a roll back is make or break. It is a bit annoying that they knew this issue was around in their other games, so the fact they did nothing was stupid. I will keep playing, as the game so far has been quite fun.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I spent the last two years playing Uncharted Waters Online, a free to play MMO with a game economy mixed with real money. Thriving, dedicated community that loves the game. Game has been running since 2006 or something. You sure that real cash doesn't work well in games?

As for this... I'm actually playing NWO right now. Rocky start, but actually far from the worst I've seen in an MMO launch. Community has to be the whiniest group of entitled brats I've ever seen in a game. They either want everything in the game free right now, or are screaming to the rafters how the game is dead and this auction house bug has permanently ruined the economy. Game is good, not for everyone, light on end-game content but the foundry has me interested.

@hotroderx
True it is an open beta but, I think they are using that label loosely just in case something like this happened. As far as I know, The characters being played right now will carry over to "Live". Many people playing right now are of this opinion.
I would be interested in seeing how many account holders who already invested real money into the game, also took advantage of the exploit and what, if any, action would be taken against those accounts.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

its in your mail

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013

it's not pay 2 win. it's free to play and all the stuff you can spend on are justs boosts and skins. you can compete with the rich kids by not spending a dime, and the stats won't be any different. that's a fact. you're just angry you suck at the game.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
They could just do away with it, or they'll never get my money anyway. RMAH=no purchase for me. I'm not a dumb fool you can nickel and dime to death. Thanks but no thanks. I've heard there is a REAL Never Winter game coming for SP, I really hope this is true. I have no intention of playing with others in my games unless at a lan party without the 12yr olds (and heck, adults who act like 2yr olds).
In game purchases=no purchase for me also, no matter how they are fashioned (I'm looking at you EA). EA has basically permanently lost me as a customer and I used to buy 4-5 of their games a year. Gog.com gets it all now...LOL. I have more fun playing a game with lacking graphics but FAR BETTER game play for $3-20 than the crap EA puts out for $60. For $60 I'm lucky to get 15hrs, but on gog I can have possibly 50-100hrs+ on a ton of titles (what happened to these types of games?).
Most of the Might & Magic games (heroes and RPG 1-9) were $2.99-$5 this weekend...LOL. If you haven't played some of the games gog has you should do yourself a favor, boycott EA and buy $60 worth from GOG.com. You can get enough gaming for $60 over there for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.