Neverwinter MMO Goes Open Beta This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I played about 30 minutes of the beta and didn't go back. It's not because I didn't like it, I just had time constraints. I still have no idea if the game is really worth downloading again. So what do people think? This, or DDO?

I've played it a little, and was underwhelmed - it has the Guild Wars 2 syndrome; there's so much of it that SHOULD be so good... and isn't.

Personally, I'm probably going to stay with DDO. Even if the graphics aren't the best in the world, the gameplay is incredible, and there's miles upon miles of customization options with which to make the perfect character.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I like never winter over DDO. DDO has some really cool class build setups but the game play got old quickly. I switched to LOTRO because of it. Now Its NW or the upcoming elder scrolls.

@ southernshark - that's the nice thing about F2P MMOs like this and LotRO (my favorite) - you can play as much or as little as you like, you don't pay monthly fees, and you can stop for weeks or months and come back right where you left off. Many argue that the classes are *too* balanced but that allows everyone to solo as needed.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You're telling me. I loved LOTRO, and liked the Neverwinter games. GW2 wasn't bad, but didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be.

The major problem I'm having is that I'm getting too old for MMOs, not enough time to get consumed with yet another MMO. I've been reading the R.A. Salvatore books that are supposed to be a pre-cursor to this whole fiasco, and I barely have time to do even that.

Either way, I hope it's successful, might try out the beta just to check it out.

genisaurus

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
There are only two things you will ever need to know about the Neverwinter MMO:

1. There is a breast-size slider at character creation.

2. The main benefit to the $200 preorder package is being able to play a BLATANT Drizz't Do'Urden knockoff. For those of you less familiar, this is like if LOTR Online sold the opportunity to play a Human Ranger with the "Runaway Prince" background and a free "Anduril" sword in your inventory. You would see a thousand Human Rangers running around and a thousand variations on the name "Aragorn."

This game is a blatant, obvious cash grab by a mediocre company. This game will not be good. It will live and die by its player-generated content, and will do nothing special beyond simply having player-generated content.

Other than that, I played the beta. The voice acting was terrible and a distraction, and for being based on D&D the mechanics were so horribly simplified that it's almost insulting. There's a "stat-rolling" system, but you're really just randomly choosing one of about 5 predetermined stat allocations from a secret table, and you keep clicking "roll" until you get the one you like. It's impossible to tell what your stats actually do, what the benefit of having a slightly higher number is, and there's no way to make a nonstandard character like say, and Intelligence-based fighter.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I've played the beta and liked it. It's not like WoW was on release, but it's better than WoW is now. It's fun enough to waste an afternoon or evening. However, they put the beta weekends up at bad times for me, and I never got a character above level 12. I don't know how well the end game works.

I play STO, too, and like it. One issue I have with Cryptic and PW are the stupid lockboxes. Buying keys is expensive. I wind up destroying hundreds of those lockboxes because it is too expensive to open them. The latest content expansion just ramped up the lockbox drop rate, too. On top of that, the endgame is a really bad rep grind. It's totally time limited. I haven't even bothered with most of that. However, the rest of the game is decently playable. I like it well enough. I have 4 characters as far as they can go without going through the horrible rep systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.