New $1,500 build help.

italianrobot

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
So the big question of this build is that I have access to a free "Intel Xeon e5-2690 v3"

Would love to use this but I'm worried about gaming performance.

The requirements for this build are mainly streaming/capture from my PS4 and Gaming and slightly future proof (minimal upgrades the first 2 years) .

My last build was a "AMD Phenom ii " and it's time to update.

I know that I should probably wait on the new Nvidia cards.

That being said with this budget I will need everything except the processor unless people think I should not go the Xeon route. This includes capture device, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Ascetically I want something really clean like NZXT S340 or NZXT Manta.

It's been so long since my last build that I just want to make sure I'm heading down the right path.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

-Italianrobot

Solution

Well you certainly could make use of the processor as is, but for the workload you describe you can make better use of the money (in my opinion) by selling. I think you'd be able to get ~$1500 out of it....though it has to be to the right person, and as you know, they are starting to come to the used market in greater numbers, so time is of the essence to get rid of it. I'd list 3-day with a starting bid of $1099, and just be done with it.

This build is an idea for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be...
first. a xeon e5-2690 v3 is a BEAST of a cpu and games just as good as the top line cpus. how did you manage to get one of those? and if you have a 1500 dollar budget on top of that you will easily be able to get a dual 980ti setup and a nice pcie ssd

italianrobot

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Server pull from some dead projects at work.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
A dual 980 Ti is not within reach while keeping it under $1500 unless you sell that CPU. He said he needs everything, not just the stuff that goes in the case. Those 980 Ti's are $600+ each right now, so you'd only have $300 left for everything else including monitor... not happening.

That CPU is fine for a gaming system, though at the moment not quite as great as a mainstream CPU which you could overclock like a $350 i7 6700k. The Xeon might be amazing in a few years once DX12 is mainstream and depending on how many cores games start to utilize, but for the moment games rarely use more than 2-4 cores, making that $2000 CPU a bit of a waste. I don't know how you came to own that CPU, but you may be better off selling it and just using the cash to build a normal (or amazing) gaming system with the profit.

they are selling for around 600 right now

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I guess you're looking at ebay for that estimate. All the ones around $600 or so are from China, Japan, or Korea. All the American listings are up over $2k. I really don't know why there's such a difference, and I don't know what one would get for it realistically. If it were up over $2k, though, I'd definitely sell it rather than use it in a personal gaming system, as that extra money is enough to build an amazing gaming system by itself. If you add the original $1500 from the budget you have enough money for a silly strong gaming system, plus an excellent 31"+ monitor.

From my perspective, step one is definitely figure out what you could get for that CPU, since its value may be well beyond the performance you would get out of it.

absolutely if he could get anywhere near 2k for it a would be worth selling. but from my experience, i have been watching the prices of those for a bit i would be surprised if it got $700 on ebay. if he sold it on a fourm it might go for less i have seen them sell as low as $400 a chip (es) on some forms. for that price i see no reason not to keep it and hope the future eventually used more than a few cores

Geekwad

Admirable

Well you certainly could make use of the processor as is, but for the workload you describe you can make better use of the money (in my opinion) by selling. I think you'd be able to get ~$1500 out of it....though it has to be to the right person, and as you know, they are starting to come to the used market in greater numbers, so time is of the essence to get rid of it. I'd list 3-day with a starting bid of $1099, and just be done with it.

This build is an idea for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($64.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 535 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($464.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($464.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($559.99 @ Micro Center)
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Other: AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme ($179.00)
Total: $3147.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The x99 platform is the workhorse of the Intel consumer line, and offers more PCIe lanes for tailoring your I/O options. With the two Nanos it's a great VR gamer with one Nano per eye, and will be at least through the second generation (the first generation launches this spring....so you've got a good couple of years). You have 6-core/12-thread now for more demanding multitasking (game-record/stream, and I assume some video editing), but this platform also has an unlocked 10-core/20-thread coming too, which should still be relevant many many years from now as multi-threading all workloads gains momentum. A high frame-rate IPS 2k monitor (I think you'll like the contrast compared with the PS4) is also fantastic, and in this budget is recommended over your 4k options. I may also add that I personally prefer three of these for gaming over a single, even ultra-wide 4k......nothing beats 7860x1440 at 120hz+ for FPS games where FOV matters (except maybe 15360x2160....but GPUs aren't there yet).

Anyway, that's my two bits.

EDIT: Meant to say $1099 starting, but had $1399 first. If you can't get $1100 for it, then I'd say change strategy.

Solution