[SOLVED] New $1000 PC build for Plex media server, streaming, all around build, nongaming

anbu7elite

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of September or October

Budget Range: ~$1000 or under

System Usage from Most to Least Important: streaming with Plex, browsing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: A brand new PC without monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg
Parts Preferences: Intel
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I just need a fast computer, this PC will be mainly used for streaming with Plex/ as a Plex media server, and just general browsing/surfing the internet, and being able to open multiple 10+ tabs effortlessly.

Thanks.

Solution
You make no mention of an optical drive. I'll assume you'll want to rip blu rays you buy to the computer.

This system will handle Plex quite well and provide a lot of storage. I don't know what your backup plans are. If the budget needs to include backups you'll need to scale back storage. If you are planning on RAID 5 or equivalent. Please note that RAID is not a backup. It just reduces the odds of complete storage failure. If you aren't going to setup any sort of RAID you can save a little with desktop class drives.

If you are ripping a video library for the first time from your Blu Ray and DVD collection and have a lot of movies. Consider spending extra on a GTX 1050 or better. Hardware encoding is much faster than software...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4BND4n
Comes with a GPU thats not the cheapest for display output, but should give some options with NVDEC acceleration. Chose a CPU with a lot of cores for cheap, but isn't the latest generation Ryzen, but should still give great streaming performance. Depending on how much storage you need for the plex media server, add SSD/HDD storage as needed to the list. It'll support 1 more m.2 SSD and up to 4 more storage drives (Depending on how storage you're looking for and how much more you are willing to spend). Each additional 4TB NAS drive (either IronWolf or WD Red) is 100$ more so you could get a solid 8TB out of this system before reaching 1000$ or max out storage capacity at 500GB SSD with 16TB of media space for less than 1200$.

You make no mention of an optical drive. I'll assume you'll want to rip blu rays you buy to the computer.

This system will handle Plex quite well and provide a lot of storage. I don't know what your backup plans are. If the budget needs to include backups you'll need to scale back storage. If you are planning on RAID 5 or equivalent. Please note that RAID is not a backup. It just reduces the odds of complete storage failure. If you aren't going to setup any sort of RAID you can save a little with desktop class drives.

If you are ripping a video library for the first time from your Blu Ray and DVD collection and have a lot of movies. Consider spending extra on a GTX 1050 or better. Hardware encoding is much faster than software encoding. Although some would argue that software encoding HEVC has nicer results.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($75.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($140.40 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($140.40 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GT 730 1 GB Video Card ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $1008.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-21 23:18 EDT-0400

Solution