[SOLVED] New 1080ti to replace old?

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hello i'm currently the proud owner of a GTX 1080ti Founders Edition that i got two years ago brand new for 799. The Situation i put myself in, is as follows.

I found a GTX 1080ti Aorus with the Triple 100mm fan design for 570 bucks Brand new shipping and taxes included. so i bought it knowing I would get slightly more fps and WAY better Temperatures then my Founders edition. Now i know that the 3070 is 499 and is coming out this month but i think we all know its going to be sold out in .2 seconds. so I took the chance and just bought another 1080ti because lets be honest here, this card is an absolute UNIT of a video card. I'm not happy with the temps i get on my founders (84c) and I love the temps that Aorus gets (under 70c) so was i stupid to buy it when i already have a founders? I'm a little conflicted about my choice. I do plan on selling my founders for 300 on craigslist. So in theory I paid about 270 for the card not 570. what do u people think?

If the 3070 doesent get sold out i can always just sell the Arous and get the 3070, its not a big deal to me, and if it does get sold out well i got a brand new 1080ti Aorus to hang with, which i'm more then happy to do because nothing is stressing this card.

part of the reason im getting a new 1080ti is because i have REALLY bad anxiety and constantly think that i'm just gona wake up and my 1080ti will be dead ( i know pretty stupid) i just like having peace of mind of owning something new and not years old, And besides i dont know if my CX750 could handle a i7 10700k (current CPU) with a RTX 3070.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I found a GTX 1080ti Aorus with the Triple 100mm fan design for 570 bucks Brand new shipping and taxes included

I do plan on selling my founders for 300 on craigslist. So in theory I paid about 270 for the card not 570.

So a net $270 spend for marginally more performance & cooler temperatures?

so was i stupid to buy it when i already have a founders? I'm a little conflicted about my choice. ?

If you're happy with the decision, then be happy with the decision. What's done is done, and I'm assuming you couldn't return the Aorus now, even if you wanted to.

That being said, it's not something I would've done. The FE 1080TI has served you well until now... what difference would another couple/few months made?

~30% uplift (anticipated) from a 3070, for $500+ taxes - and you should've still been able to recoup similar money, used from the 1080TI. Similar net spend, substantially better performance.

Like I said though, if you're happy with the decision, be happy with the decision.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
so u wouldent say it was a stupid decision just a "questionable one" i got the card because everysingle one i seen was like 1200 dollars brand new and this one was just a diamond in the rough. i weighed by chances of actually getting a 3000 series and i decided i prob wont because how fast they will sell out.