[SOLVED] New 10TB WD Easystore connects fine thru USB adapter, but not thru SATA

Pete Van Horn IV

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I just got the WD easystore 10TB harddrive. My ultimate plan is to shuck the external case and use it as an internal SATA HDD. I tested the drive while it was still in the case through USB and it worked. So then I opened up the drive and installed the HDD into my desktop computer (Win 10) through SATA. The drive didn't spin up at all, and wasn't recognized by windows. To test that, I plugged the USB adapter from the external case back into the harddrive to see if it still worked through USB. It worked! But anytime I plugged the drive back into SATA it wouldn't recognize or power up the drive (not spinning).

I tested the tried 2 different SATA ports and 2 different SATA cables and 3 different internal power connectors, they all didn't work. But I was able to get a different HDD to run fine through both SATA connections. So the 10tb drive works through the USB adapter but not SATA. And the SATA connection works through a different drive, but not the new 10 TB WD drive. (the second drive I was using to test the SATA is a 750GB Samsung HDD)

This is so confusing.

I looked through the BIOS and saw that the new drive wasn't recognized while it was connected to either SATA port.

Thanks for the help, I'd love to see if I can get this working before my ability to return it to the store runs out. Thanks!

----------------------------------------
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Asrock Pro4 B450m Motherboard
16 GB 3200MHz RAM
EVGA 600BR
1x 512GB M.2 NVME drive
1x 1TB SSD
1x 4TB HDD
&
(1x 10TB HDD, not yet connected properly)

Pete Van Horn IV

Honorable
May 29, 2013
The SATA power connector has been redefined for newer drives. If 3.3V is present on pin #3, the drive won't spin up. You need to cut this wire in your SATA cable.

Power Disable Feature (SATA 3.2+ / 3.3):
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2094

thanks for the reply. I followed that link you sent and it explains about the pin #3, but I'm not sure how to disable it or what wire to cut. There's 15 pins and only 5 wires. Thanks

Edit: I'm assuming it's the wire the connect to pins 1, 2 & 3, but that would also disconnect the reserved pins on 1 & 2. Thanks

if your sata power cable has colored wires, then its orange wire u have to cut
satapowext8.b.jpg

if its not colored (all black wires), then cut wire on notch side