Question New 13700k came loose in the Intel box, is it open-box?

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
My CPU arrived loose and moving inside the box, there seems to be a cardboard piece missing? there's 2 sets of cardboard holding it together as far as I know and I only see one set of cardboard. Is it one of those cases where someone ran the CPU for weeks on a stock cooler then realized they <Mod Edit> up and did the impossible to return it? or I guess someone just <Mod Edit> up its voltages or whatever. Is the box opened or is it normal for Intel to send them like that? the CPU warranty started a month before I received it according to the data on the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The CPU should arrive in a plastic clamshell. If you have any concerns it might have suffered ESD (static) damage, RMA it back to the shop where you bought it. If you think they might send the same CPU back, make a tiny (almost invisible) mark on the CPU as identification.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
The CPU should arrive in a plastic clamshell. If you have any concerns it might have suffered ESD (static) damage, RMA it back to the shop where you bought it. If you think they might send the same CPU back, make a tiny (almost invisible) mark on the CPU as identification.
It's in its plastic clamshell but one piece of the brown cardboard is missing inside the box.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Intel CPU box should have had a quality seal on it preventing opening without cutting or removing in order to open the box. Was that intact?

Where did you purchase this CPU?
There's the "Intel Factory sealed" seal but I don't know if they can reproduce that and send back CPU boxes after they were opened. I bought it from a local shop, more secure than Amazon.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
Thanks guys, I'm definitely returning it, I already asked the store weeks ago and they said I can send it back whenever