New 144hz Monitor, changed 60hz to 70hz in Windows and now NOTHING!

SkOrPn

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
Well, I have a problem, but its not my problem, its a good friend in Angel Fire NM who ordered a Asus VG248QE through me as his old monitor died and he had no other way to order it himself. Anyway, Amazon dropped shipped it directly to him and he was thrilled when UPS delivered it today. It is beautiful according to my friend. He installed it, set it up and turned it on using. He had to switch from his old CRT monitors built in VGA cable to a DVI cable. I assume its NOT DVI-D, but just DVI.

Its an old Gateway 700XL P4-EE with maxed out memory and a old GeForce 7600 AGP card. What he did was start up Windows XP Pro, it came on and he was extremely impressed. Then he right clicked and changed the HZ from 60 to 70 (it gave him that option) and then asked him to reboot. Once he rebooted the Monitor now says there is no signal. We spent an hour trying to get F8 (safe mode) to launch up onto the monitor, but all he gets is "No Signal" on the monitor, no matter how many times he presses the F8 key. He can see BIOS screen, but after the BIOS passes its load point, there is nothing but a Monitor message stating "No Signal".

Does anyone possibly know what he did to cause his system to no longer output a video signal?

Windows XP Pro
Gateway 700XL
Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
Asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms Gaming Monitor

Computer was running fantastic until he selected 70 hz. Now its useless and stressing him out severely.

Solution

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Could you possibly do a system restore if you can't get the monitor to work?

Solution

SkOrPn

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005

Well like I said, the monitor is working great, he can see the BIOS boot just fine. But when its time to load Windows it then goes blank with a message "No Signal". So obviously, no possible way to do a restore.

I built that system myself many years ago using a non-Gateway supplied XP Pro from my Technet account. I also installed a new SATA drive for him and a much newer AGP video card then what he had, so it is no longer a Gateway Operating System. It was working great until we switched from 60 hz to 70 hz. But without Safe Mode I do not know how he can get back into Windows. He has no clue how to do a system restore or OS installs and I am several hundred miles from him without any transportation. I was hoping for someone with knowledge of XP and Gateways to tell me when exactly F8 is to be hit since he cant seem to find that window of opportunity. I use a custom built Asus system and Windows 8.1 and have no problem launching Safe Mode.

What would happen if he removes the video card for a while and then replaces it? Would windows XP think its a new install and load up the default settings that originally worked?

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Perhaps it could yes. You can't be sure but maybe it would work. I'd also recommend switching the monitor BACK to a 60HZ monitor for now, and then booting. windows will have to default to the highest refresh rate of the monitor.

SkOrPn

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005

SkOrPn

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
OK, well quick update. I was worried that I would have to make a very long trip just to fix this, but apparently he managed to find Safe Mode, got into Windows and managed to get it set back to 60hz. Now its working fine. He was not aware the Native resolution was going to change, but I do not see how that is possible after telling him last week about a thousand times that it was a much higher res monitor going from 1024x768 (or what ever it was on his old 4:3 CRT) to 1920x1080p. He does not like the 1920x1080p but I had to convince him to try 1600x900 and his very old eyes can now read again, lol. Sometimes I think the non techie types do not listen to us techs what so ever, or spitting out numbers means absolutely nothing to them?

At any rate, he got it solved, so maybe I was premature in posting for help. Sorry peeps, I been building computers since the late 80's but I have a very hard time remembering past stuff once it is in my past. He is still living in the past when it comes to his computer and games which are all about 10 years old, except for the Monitor now. HAHA! Actually the video card is much newer as it has DVI output.

Thanks again.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

I'm glad it worked for your Senior friend :)