new 16 GB Ram installer (2*8GB) only 7,97GB useable ( 8 GB hardware reserved )

Oct 13, 2018
Hi all I need some help:
I was searching for 5 days now on several forums but couldn't sort my issue.
Like stated in the title: out of 16GB ram I just have 7,97GB useable 8 GB are hardware reserved.
770giup3xyr11.png

One indicator is that in bios single channel is set instead of dual channel (slots: A2-B2)
my RAM (have two): (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J8E92I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Here is my spec:
u0wolkk4xyr11.png

ymfcuer5xyr11.png

34iw8fv7xyr11.png

q8sikg1oxyr11.png

Tried all ready:
- BIOS mit CLRCMOS reset/update
- MSCONFIG checkbox limiting RAM
- different slot configuration
- 1 ram at a time
- differnet settings in bios (timings, etc.)

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
If you use one ram stick at one time does it boot?
If yes, just try reseating the RAM a couple of times. I had this problem once too and after switching RAM places, taking it out and putting it back in for like 10 minutes (with testing after each reseat) it registered all of my RAM

Lutfij

Titan
See if populating slots A1 and B1 changes anything for you. In BIOS, make sure you're running in dual channel, Ganged mode. Set voltage to 1.65v maximum and ram frequency to DDR3-1333MHz. See if removing the CMOS battery for 15 minutes helps. If that doesn't work, backup all critical content from drive, recreate bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and reinstall the OS.

Did you buy 2 8GB RAM modules separately or did you buy them together as a set?
If you bought them separately, you could be one of the unlucky ones that is experiencing problems with non-matched RAM.
Yes, even though they are the same make and model. It's rare but it happens.

In CPU-Z in the SPD tab does it show that both slots A2 and B2 are populated?

Oct 13, 2018
I will ask what is your operating system ?
* It is windows 10

In BIOS, make sure you're running in dual channel, Ganged mode.
* It says single and i can't change it. no gange mode setting - Mobo: ASROCK 970M Pro3 bios version 1.60

Did you buy 2 8GB RAM modules separately or did you buy them together as a set?
* it is a set

If you use one ram stick at one time does it boot?
* yes - but just if I polute slot A2

In CPU-Z in the SPD tab does it show that both slots A2 and B2 are populated?
* yes - in bios as well

Set voltage to 1.65v maximum and ram frequency to DDR3-1333MHz.
* higher voltage better? I am not able to change the frequenz. Eventhou there is a drag and drop. I Tried choose lower than 1866Mhz but it was not changed. Runs always in 1866MHz

The link that you sent us for the RAM says:

Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX318C10FB/8)

and a picture of one DIMM.

If you click on the 16Gb Kit box it shows:

Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX318C10FBK2/16)

And shows 2 DIMMS.

Just checking...if you did indeed buy it as a kit why did you send us the link for one DIMM? Just asking.

Poluting (you mean populating) slot A2 for just one DIMM is the correct one according to the Manual.

Just for the heck of it, try the DIMMS in slots A1 and B1 together and see what happens.

Oct 13, 2018
Yes i brougth it as a set. I just looked up the ID of it.

I already brougth a new Motherboard and new Ram. With my old ram (2*8GB) i had the same issue. This was the reason why I brougth the new RAM.
I had a FX 4xxx and this worked fine with the old RAM(2*8GB)

Oct 13, 2018
I don't understand your question.

FX 4xxx worked with the old RAM, I changed to FX 8350 and had the issue of 8 GB only useable. I thougth the RAM is the issue and brougth new one.
But the issue is still there.

So you changed all 3 items...motherboard, CPU and RAM.

You are not being clear as to which combination(s) worked and which had the problem.
Please list each one separately to avoid confusion.

FX 4xxx worked with the old RAM - on which motherboard?

I changed to FX 8350 and had the issue of 8 GB only useable - on which motherboard?

Oct 13, 2018
FX 4xxx || old RAM || old mobo - ok
FX 8350 || old RAM || old mobo - not ok (it migth worked sometimes, but with no configuration change)
FX 8350 || old RAM || new mobo - not ok
FX 8350 || new RAM || new mobo - not ok

Oct 13, 2018
Yesterday I just took my old FX-4170 and replaced it with my FX-8350 and to my surprise it worked straigth away. With no issues. I chnaged nothing else.

In bios it says dual channel and in windows all 16 GB are available. But after putting back the FX-8350 it is again in single channel mode

and 8 GB are hardware reserved.

AMD support has told me after this that it migth be the windows installation. But the RAM changed already the behavour in bios. (DUAL CHANNEL MODE)

Unbenannt5.PNG

Unbenannt6.PNG

Unbenannt7.PNG