[SOLVED] New 165hz monitor goes black when changing from 60hz to 165hz

chrisdude183

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
I just bought an ASUS VG278QR 27” 1080p 0.5ms 165hz GSYNC monitor and whenever I change it from 60hz to 165hz the screen just goes black and doesn’t come back on until it reverts back to 60hz.

I tried many different refresh rate settings (85hz, 100hz, 120hz 144hz etc.) and it does the same thing for every setting other than 60hz. I tried using the monitor’s built in computer to see if there was any option for changing the refresh rate but there was nothing. I searched the internet for this issue but found nothing relating to it.

One amazon review said that there is an issue with the provided displayport cable (which I am using) that causes the screen to go black sometimes, so I ordered a good aftermarket one but it hasn’t gotten here yet; However I am skeptical because it was only one review that said this.

I have two other monitors that are 1080p60 but I unplugged both of them from the computer to see if that was causing the issue somehow but the new monitor did the same thing so it was not that.

Despite all this the GSYNC is working fine.

My specs are:
i7 6700k
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 1060 6GB

I have an RTX 2070 SUPER on order which is coming in later this week and I’m hoping that it will fix the issue. But on the off chance this is not a graphics card issue I’d like to know what others think.

I appreciate all the help!

chrisdude183

Reputable
Mar 5, 2016
Order a different DP cable, any cheap 10 dollar one will work.

I already did:

One amazon review said that there is an issue with the provided displayport cable (which I am using) that causes the screen to go black sometimes, so I ordered a good aftermarket one but it hasn’t gotten here yet; However I am skeptical because it was only one review that said this.

Thanks though!

TRENDING THREADS