[SOLVED] New $2k Build - Any suggestions?

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I'm putting together a new build and wanted to get some feedback. Here's what I'm looking at:

Mobo: Asus Prime X570-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC White
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Case: NZXT H710i
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
PSU: Corsair RM 850x White
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black
Additional Case Fans: ???? (Case includes 4x Aer F120mm fans)

I'm going for a white aesthetic. I'm coming from a 3570k / GTX 670 build which has held up well over the years but has reached the end of its line.

This computer will be used for 1440p 144hz gaming, VR, software development, video editing, and possibly some AI or chess position analysis.

I'm looking at the 2080 super to help reach high frame rates @ 1440p. I'm planning to use the stock AMD cooler.

I'm not sure what a good fan setup is. The H710i comes with 4x Aer F120mm fans. Should I get some Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm too?

Last edited:
Solution
The stock cooler can get loud with a 3800x so I use a Corsair H60i and it hits 70 max. Fan curves are something you may have to play around with to prevent the quick cycling due to the constant core fluctuations.

I have a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 in an Asus TUF x570. Save your money if just for general use. No real benefit unless moving files around on your pc a lot.

Little to no difference between 3.0 and 4.0 program loading times. The 3.0 is still very quick.

If you have decided on the x570 platform then many of the motherboards are capable of runiing a 3700x with no sweat. With the x570's it's about what options the boards have, higher end have newer wifi and better sound.

If you can wait a few months then the B550's may be released...
The stock cooler can get loud with a 3800x so I use a Corsair H60i and it hits 70 max. Fan curves are something you may have to play around with to prevent the quick cycling due to the constant core fluctuations.

I have a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 in an Asus TUF x570. Save your money if just for general use. No real benefit unless moving files around on your pc a lot.

Little to no difference between 3.0 and 4.0 program loading times. The 3.0 is still very quick.

If you have decided on the x570 platform then many of the motherboards are capable of runiing a 3700x with no sweat. With the x570's it's about what options the boards have, higher end have newer wifi and better sound.

If you can wait a few months then the B550's may be released (HOPEFULLY). Until the 550's are rleaseased than the B450 MAX versions would also be a good choice. They should work with the 4000 series cpu's but not yet confirmed. So that's the trade off with motherboards right now.

I play at 1440p IPS with a 2070S and it's a fantastic gaming rig!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKFDARRZOYg

Last edited:
Solution

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I've read that the stock AMD cooler works great but I should have mentioned that I would like this build to be fairly silent. As such, I will consider picking up the Corsair H60.

I do move files around a lot, so read/write performance is pretty important to me.

So I'm looking at the Asus Prime X570-Pro board because 1) It's Asus and I prefer Asus mobos, 2) it matches the aesthetic I'm going for 3) it has the Realtek S1220A codec 4) it has a USB-C port, and 5) it has good reviews and a decent price. I don't need WiFi on my mobo so no problem there as it's not included. SLI compatibility is included but I will never use it so that's an unnecessary feature. Is there any reason, other than price, not to get this board?

I'm putting together a new build and wanted to get some feedback. Here's what I'm looking at:

Mobo: Asus Prime X570-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC White
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Case: NZXT H710i
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
PSU: Corsair RM 750x

I'm going for a white aesthetic. I'm coming from a 3570k / GTX 670 build which has held up well over the years but has reached the end of its line.

This computer will be used for 1440p 144hz gaming, VR, software development, video editing, and possibly some AI or chess position analysis.

I'm looking at the 2080 super to help reach high frame rates @ 1440p. I'm planning to use the stock AMD cooler.

I'm not sure what a good fan setup is. I think the H710i comes with 4x Aer F120mm fans. Is that good enough? Should I get some Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm fans instead?
I’d drop the PCIE 4.0 ssd there’s not really much point for the money.
Also if you want it quiet look at the be quiet dark rock series (watch memory clearance if you get the Pro) or something big by Noctua.

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Ok. I'll look more into the PCIE 3 vs 4 SSD cost/performance ratio and decide if it's worth it for me.

I'm not sure I really want to do liquid cooling so I'll also consider the Noctua NH-D15 or something similar. I need to find a resource that tells me how much quieter that would be vs the stock AMD cooler. I doubt there would be much performance gain, so it's really all about the dB.

Ok. I'll look more into the PCIE 3 vs 4 SSD cost/performance ratio and decide if it's worth it for me.

I'm not sure I really want to do liquid cooling so I'll also consider the Noctua NH-D15 or something similar. I need to find a resource that tells me how much quieter that would be vs the stock AMD cooler. I doubt there would be much performance gain, so it's really all about the dB.
I’d recommend be quiet, performance is about the same as Noctua but they look a hell of a lot better. There should be performance gain as the 3000 series AMD chips are best left to auto OC themselves rather than put a manual on and a better cooler gives them more room to boost, plus they’re a lot quieter. I have a dark rock slim and the GPU fans are the only things I can hear.