New 2nd monitor not connecting? Help please!

dummyten

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
First time trying to set up dual monitors.Thought it would be just plug and go but it's not working for some reason.

Just bought another 24" monitor and nothing is showing up on the screen. It says "not connected" but when I go into my display settings, it does detect another screen and has them listed as 1 and 2. Also when I go into my device manager, it is listed under monitors. I checked the drivers and it says they're up to date as well. Help would be appreciated.

(ps. I know this is probably a stupid question... would it be better to plug my 2nd monitor into my graphic's card i/o or my motherboard's i/o? I'm just using it to browse the web and watch Netflix, it's not for gaming. I've tried doing both but the same result.)

edit:
Found the answer.

Um. Okay. I'm an idiot apparently. You can close this thread. Problem was that I didn't select input port on the monitor itself because I didn't realize you needed to do that. The tutorial video I watched never mentioned it. My bad, folks.

dummyten

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

I can click extend, duplicate, etc. but it doesn't matter what option I select. The screen is still black and it says No Cable Connected! :/