Question New 3060 Ti causing 4K TV to freeze ?

Jan 22, 2023
Recently purchased a 3060 Ti to replace a 970 in my system, but when I have tried to use it with my 4K tv the screen freezes and I have to take the hdmi cable out and put it back in to unfreeze. It will then freeze again if I try to open anything, change resolution, essentially anything that might cause extra strain on the card. Fans/lights from the pc still on and working and the pc is still responding while the screen is froze (if I press the windows key while it’s frozen then start menu will be open when it unfreezes).

I put my old gtx 970 back in and everything worked perfectly so the rest of the pc hasn’t been effected, and when I connect the 3060 Ti to a standard 1080p monitor it doesn’t freeze. I have seen other threads talk about a similar problem and suggest it might be a power supply issue and my Psu is 6 years old but is 750W which is the recommended power for the card. So I’m hesitant to buy a new one in case it doesn’t fix the issue and just leaves me out of pocket.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Some fixes I’ve tried:
  • Delete old drivers using DDU
  • Reinstall Drivers
  • Use different HDMI cable
  • Upgrade firmware of TV

Specs
CPU - i5 6600k
Motherboard - Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
GPU - Asus DUAL MINI OC V2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power supply

Recently purchased a 3060 Ti to replace a 970 in my system, but when I have tried to use it with my 4K tv the screen freezes and I have to take the hdmi cable out and put it back in to unfreeze. It will then freeze again if I try to open anything, change resolution, essentially anything that might cause extra strain on the card. Fans/lights from the pc still on and working and the pc is still responding while the screen is froze (if I press the windows key while it’s frozen then start menu will be open when it unfreezes).

I put my old gtx 970 back in and everything worked perfectly so the rest of the pc hasn’t been effected, and when I connect the 3060 Ti to a standard 1080p monitor it doesn’t freeze. I have seen other threads talk about a similar problem and suggest it might be a power supply issue and my Psu is 6 years old but is 750W which is the recommended power for the card. So I’m hesitant to buy a new one in case it doesn’t fix the issue and just leaves me out of pocket.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Some fixes I’ve tried:
  • Delete old drivers using DDU
  • Reinstall Drivers
  • Use different HDMI cable
  • Upgrade firmware of TV
Specs
CPU - i5 6600k
Motherboard - Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
GPU - Asus DUAL MINI OC V2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power supply
try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in AMD option in the ddu settings before doing so).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 4 on yours since it's 4 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall Intel LPC Controller and Management Engine Interface (do not restart after uninstall) (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash the bios to the latest again, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile and, then save and exit.

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset Driver, ME Driver (use legacy folder if you use win 10, Main DCH if windows 11), and IGPU driver (if you use igpu), then reboot.

• Install latest nvidia drivers.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png