[SOLVED] New 3900x at high idle???

May 23, 2020
So I just built a new PC a few days ago and when i pull up HW Monitor my CPU Temp is reading around 44-55ish idle randomly peaking at 60 for a half a second at a time, I played Call Of Duty on Max Settings 1080p with around 220ish frames and was somewhere around he 60's. Also I haven't set any overclock settings but I seem to be automatically running at 4.3ghz on all cores. Is it something to do with my voltage settings possibly? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated =]

My rig:
AMD Ryzen 3900x
ROG Strix 570-E Gaming Motherboard
Corsair h115i Platinum AIO
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super (ROG Strix White)
G.Skill Trident Z Royal 16gb 3600 RAM x2
Silicon Power 1tb M.2 NvME
Seasonic 750w 80+ Platinum Full Modular
Corsair 465x Case with 3x 120mm LL Fans ( Fans are setup with 1x 120mm and AIO as intake and 2x 120mm as exhaust)

My PC is my avatar pic =]

Last edited:
Solution
It's a Ryzen. Not an intel lol.

At idle, Intels chop voltages and speeds to all the cores, but they all stay active, so any background tasks are split up between whatever core isn't doing anything. So idles will be 30 ish with spikes upto @ 50 as processes and services stop and start.

Ryzen works differently. At idle, it drops the voltages and speeds to the cores, but all the cores except 1 are deactivated, asleep. Leaving just one preferred core to do all the background work. Being a concentrated load, it's higher, which means the temp is usually 40's with spikes upto @ 60 with processes and services stopping and starting.

But looking at a single readout temp, for Intel you'll see only the hottest core at any given moment, but...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

At idle, Intels chop voltages and speeds to all the cores, but they all stay active, so any background tasks are split up between whatever core isn't doing anything. So idles will be 30 ish with spikes upto @ 50 as processes and services stop and start.

Ryzen works differently. At idle, it drops the voltages and speeds to the cores, but all the cores except 1 are deactivated, asleep. Leaving just one preferred core to do all the background work. Being a concentrated load, it's higher, which means the temp is usually 40's with spikes upto @ 60 with processes and services stopping and starting.

But looking at a single readout temp, for Intel you'll see only the hottest core at any given moment, but Ryzen all you'll see is the temp of a single core doin the work, not the entire cpu. That won't happen until you apply a load, can be as little as moving the mouse, wakes up every core.

So perfectly normal for 40-60 idle one core bounces, and perfectly normal for 60's on every core at loads.

Also, don't use HWMonitor. It's not reliable for reading Ryzen temps. Instead use Ryzen Master or HWInfo64 (sensors only) as both of those are accurate, and as reliable as it gets. HWMonitor is subject to anomalies where it can show drastic temp changes where non exist.

Reactions: MurkLurk
Solution
May 23, 2020

But looking at a single readout temp, for Intel you'll see only the hottest core at any given moment, but Ryzen all you'll see is the temp of a single core doin the work, not the entire cpu. That won't happen until you apply a load, can be as little as moving the mouse, wakes up every core.

So perfectly normal for 40-60 idle one core bounces, and perfectly normal for 60's on every core at loads.

Also, don't use HWMonitor. It's not reliable for reading Ryzen temps. Instead use Ryzen Master or HWInfo64 (sensors only) as both of those are accurate, and as reliable as it gets. HWMonitor is subject to anomalies where it can show drastic temp changes where non exist.
Room temp?

Your idle temps could be considered a bit warm but are still well within safe limits but I'd double check the temps with AMD Ryzen Master.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Your gaming temps are safe as well.
So my house is on the hot side I'd say around 26-27°c, I'll download ryzen master as well thank you.