Question new 4080 gives me black screen.

bcanning

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2015
when I first put my new gpu in everything was fine and the first thing I did was update my drivers. during installation at 75% the screen went black, which is normal whenever I update my graphics, but the screen stayed black and never went back on. I had to shut off my pc and the post screen showed up, but then the screen went black again never showing login screen. I had to restart my pc over and over again until I could finally see the login screen. I looked at my drivers and it was updated to the newest version. so, everything worked fine until I shut off my pc again and had to do the whole thing over again. It's like there is a 10% chance my screen will actually show something. So I uninstalled the driver and went back to older one yet same thing happened during installation my screen went black and had to do the whole process over again. Old drivers are now installed and still having same problem when I shut my pc off. I found a website that told me I might need to update firmware on my 4080, but the tool they had me use told me my gpu was already updated. and doesn'ed need one. so i put my old gpu in(1080ti) and everything works fine on my old gpu. the only workaround is if Iput my pc in sleep mode so its not using too much power. is my new gpu faulty

spec:
gpu:rtx 4080
cpu:i7-9700k
ram:16gb
motherboard:MSI Z390-A PRo LGA1151

when I first put my new gpu in everything was fine and the first thing I did was update my drivers. during installation at 75% the screen went black, which is normal whenever I update my graphics, but the screen stayed black and never went back on. I had to shut off my pc and the post screen showed up, but then the screen went black again never showing login screen. I had to restart my pc over and over again until I could finally see the login screen. I looked at my drivers and it was updated to the newest version. so, everything worked fine until I shut off my pc again and had to do the whole thing over again. It's like there is a 10% chance my screen will actually show something. So I uninstalled the driver and went back to older one yet same thing happened during installation my screen went black and had to do the whole process over again. Old drivers are now installed and still having same problem when I shut my pc off. I found a website that told me I might need to update firmware on my 4080, but the tool they had me use told me my gpu was already updated. and doesn'ed need one. so i put my old gpu in(1080ti) and everything works fine on my old gpu. the only workaround is if Iput my pc in sleep mode so its not using too much power. is my new gpu faulty

spec:
What's your psu are you daisy chaining your pcie cables or is there separate pcie cables for each port.

spec:
Is the bios upto date? And are you using uefi boot or legacy boot, the rtx cards require you to use uefi boot to function properly

bcanning

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2015
ok I did clean installation of my drivers using this guide . I changed the 12-pin to three 8-pin to a 12-pin to four 8-pin cable. I updated my bios to the most recent.and i still have this problem. i'm at a loss

Last edited: