[SOLVED] New 4080: Oculus App for HDMI Oculus Rift disrupts the DP signal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Hi, bit of a strange one, and somewhat complex to explain, so please bear with me...

I just upgraded an RTX 3080 to a 4080. I have an (original) Oculus Rift connected by HDMI, and an Acer Predator XB273K S connected by DisplayPort. I had no issues starting the Oculus app and using the Rift with the 3080 while leaving the monitor on. Since I have upgraded, when I start the Oculus app with the Rift connected via HDMI, my monitor (connected by DP) goes black until I unplug/replug the DP cable. Nothing else fixes the issue - including cycling the monitor power. I think OVRService errors I'm getting are coming at the time this problem occurs.

I've taken out and reseated the graphics card and unplugged/replugged each power connector associated with it and checked the other end of the PCIE power connector leads are in the PSU properly. I used Display Driver Uninstaller on the way to clean installing the GeForce driver twice. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus software twice too. I've tried disabling G-Sync on the monitor and lowering settings. I've tried using every DP slot on the card. I've tried using a different DP cable, with the usual one being VESA certified. I have tried other things but at this point I can't recall the others. At this point I'm about out of ideas. I can replug the DP cable each time I finish with the Rift, but I'd much rather not have to, or at least know why it's necessary.

If anyone can suggest anything I'd appreciate it. All suggestions will definitely be considered, and I'm especially interested if anyone has any suggestion that grants that the problem isn't a loose power connector, badly seated card or driver issue - but if there are known problems like mine related to power or drivers please let me know that too. Please note that I am assuming this is a graphics card issue because that was the only component in the mix that changed.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Should have mentioned my PSU is a Corsair RM850i, CPU is i7-11700F, RAM is 32GB G.Skill DDR5 and mobo is MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi.

Last edited:

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Hi, bit of a strange one, and somewhat complex to explain, so please bear with me...

I just upgraded an RTX 3080 to a 4080. I have an (original) Oculus Rift connected by HDMI, and an Acer Predator XB273K S connected by DisplayPort. I had no issues starting the Oculus app and using the Rift with the 3080 while leaving the monitor on. Since I have upgraded, when I start the Oculus app with the Rift connected via HDMI, my monitor (connected by DP) goes black until I unplug/replug the DP cable. Nothing else fixes the issue - including cycling the monitor power. I think OVRService errors I'm getting are coming at the time this problem occurs.

I've taken out and reseated the graphics card and unplugged/replugged each power connector associated with it and checked the other end of the PCIE power connector leads are in the PSU properly. I used Display Driver Uninstaller on the way to clean installing the GeForce driver twice. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus software twice too. I've tried disabling G-Sync on the monitor and lowering settings. I've tried using every DP slot on the card. I've tried using a different DP cable, with the usual one being VESA certified. I have tried other things but at this point I can't recall the others. At this point I'm about out of ideas. I can replug the DP cable each time I finish with the Rift, but I'd much rather not have to, or at least know why it's necessary.

If anyone can suggest anything I'd appreciate it. All suggestions will definitely be considered, and I'm especially interested if anyone has any suggestion that grants that the problem isn't a loose power connector, badly seated card or driver issue - but if there are known problems like mine related to power or drivers please let me know that too. Please note that I am assuming this is a graphics card issue because that was the only component in the mix that changed.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Should have mentioned my PSU is a Corsair RM850i, CPU is i7-11700F, RAM is 32GB G.Skill DDR5 and mobo is MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi.
I neglected to mention that my monitor is only being recognized by the GeForce driver as "G-Sync Capable", rather than "G-Sync" proper. I'm not too worried about that in itself, but it means something is quite different now.

I really hope someone has a suggestion, it would be much appreciated. I'm pretty stuck here.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Problem solved, disabled Nvidia High Definition Audio. Maybe related to this?

Hope this helps anyone unlucky enough to get this problem in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.